Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are two, but I haven't heard anything from either in some time. We have a couple at deer camp, but that's it.

Just wondering how many are really out there, and what setup you might have?

·
Registered
27,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I mean smokeless powder. Savage started it, but now you pretty much have to have a custom made. Arrowhead Rifles is probably the best at it. There's a whole niche for it. I almost gave up ML hunting till I got into it. Nothing magic, longer shots capable by a bit, cleanup is of course way easier. Arkansas allows it.

Just Googled "Smokeless Muzzleloading" and there's a lot more websites and custom gun makers than I thought. I have a custom that a fellow in Ohio put together for me from a Rem 700 ML base and Arrowhead Rifle parts.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
No I mean smokeless powder. Savage started it, but now you pretty much have to have a custom made. Arrowhead Rifles is probably the best at it. There's a whole niche for it. I almost gave up ML hunting till I got into it. Nothing magic, longer shots capable by a bit, cleanup is of course way easier. Arkansas allows it.

Just Googled "Smokeless Muzzleloading" and there's a lot more websites and custom gun makers than I thought. I have a custom that a fellow in Ohio put together for me from a Rem 700 ML base and Arrowhead Rifle parts.
Savage smokeless here! Two more in my camp as well.

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
Wife's cousin shoots one. His is a 40 cal. He is comfortable shooting Elk to 400 yds with his. If I remember right he is shooting a 275 grain bullet 2900 fps. Some custom shop built rifle. I was interested till I looked the place up and saw the price. it was around 3 K.

·
Registered
27,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting.

I didn't pay anywhere near that. I also still have the Savage .50 cal. It was a couple hundred but nothing bad.

I got the Rem 700 ML off of Gunbroker for maybe $150. I put a Boyd's laminated stock on it for $99.00.

The breech plug, barrel, lug nut, etc was about $250.00. I think they've gone up. It's a .45 caliber.

I shoot 60g of Vitavhoury Oy N120, a .40 caliber Barnes Expander, and Harvester blue sabot.

Sighted in 1.5 inch high at 100 yards, it is 4 inches low at 200. I've not chronied it. Others with similar are seeing about 2900 fps.

It's heavy as heck. But once in a box stand on a rail it's a great shooter.

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
Wifes cousin's rig you have to use a press type tool to push the bullets through a short section of barrel that engraves or cuts the rifling into the bullets before you load them. loaded with a medium speed rifle powder.
Basically he is using a ML that is like a 375 Ruger. Been some years since he told me about it. He killed several elk with it.

·
Registered
27,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wifes cousin's rig you have to use a press type tool to push the bullets through a short section of barrel that engraves or cuts the rifling into the bullets before you load them. loaded with a medium speed rifle powder.
Basically he is using a ML that is like a 375 Ruger. Been some years since he told me about it. He killed several elk with it.
There have been a lot of guys experiment, many successfully, with sabot-less bullets. Especially when sighting in, the barrel gets hot (duh! LOL). Plastic in a hot barrel is not a good recipe. Some have found ways around it.

When sighting mine in at the range, where I'm going to shoot a lot, I carry a small ice chest with a block of ice in it. I keep a 1/2" alum rod about 3 feet long (?) I got at Lowe's, off the shelf, and I keep it in the ice. After shooting, I run that cold rod down the barrel and wait about 10 seconds and Voila, barrel is cool. Run one dry patch down and ready to load. But all that is only if I'm planning on shooting a bunch of shots in a row, or grouping a new bullet, etc.

Many folks that have .50 cal smokeless ML'ers say that not all 45 cal bullets are alike. There are .452 bullets and .458 bullets, the two common sizes, both 45 cal. The .452 is too loose by far, for most barrels. The tighter the bullet, the more accurate, and vice versa.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I've thought about getting a CVA 45 70 and getting hankins to work the barrel over for muzzle loading. Then I think about how little I use a ML and decide it's not worth it to me. Plus having to work over your bullets like mentioned above sounds like a pain as well.

I'm still using 777 for now but when I run out of that I will probably try the blackhorn. To me the blackhorn takes care of the biggest negative for me and that is the big smoke cloud. So a lot cheaper to just switch to the blackhorn than buying a new gun. I know there are more advantages to a smokless than just no smoke but so far I haven't convinced myself that it's worth it.

Also I'm quite certain if I ever invest in a smokeless the game and fish would switch to a primitive season and allow strait wall cartridge guns.

Custom Rifles - Rifles & Pricing

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have a savage smokeless and a friend has one just like mine. I shoot VN110 powder and 260 grn nosler partitions in mine.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I meet a older man hunting from Jonesboro. I was hunting in the Ozark National Forest. I heard him shoot. It didnt sound like a ml. He killed a nice buck. I asked what he was shooting. He was shooting a Remington 700 50 cal. He was using smokeless powder in it. I said what did u have too do to it to get it to shoot it. All i done was drilled the nipple out he said. He was shooting 35 grs . Cant remember what it was. There isnt no way i would shoot smokeless in it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts