Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anybody had any "new" baits on the market that they have been successful with. I fish small touraments every weekend and stilll use the Brushhog, gitzit, and Finesse worms. Of course Spinnerbaits, Crankbaits, and Buzzbaits. Anybody using anything new. :head:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello Buckshot 106,
My name is Ron Duncan and I am the newest member of the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission. I have joined this forum to keep in better contact with the hunters and fishermen of this state.
It doesn't look like anyone has given you a serious answer to what I took to be a serious question. I have considerable experience in fishing so I will throw a couple of things out.
You weren't very specific about the conditions or types of water you will be fishing which could obviously make a huge difference.
Dean Rojas just won the latest Bassmaster Tournament using two different types of bait that aren't commonly used in Arkansas to my knowledge.
The newest of the two is a SPRO Bronze Frog, a topwater lure that can be purchased off the internet for about 8 or 9 dollars. If you are fishing shallow water conditions, you may want to consider that.
The other lure he used was a Slurpees Brush Beaver, a plastic lure which resembles a crawdad which I have used successfully. He was using a one ounce sinker forcing it into the brush. It can be purchased through Cabela's. It is an awesome looking bait.
My own favorite lure is an Arkie Crawlin' Grub on a quarter ounce weedless jighead. It can be used in a variety of situations and I have had tremendous success with it. It's my "fall back" lure. It isn't new by any manner of speaking but I know that lures become popular regionally and perhaps you can put the knowledge to use. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the answer. That is the challenging thing about fishing small tournaments in Central Arkansas. Water conditions change from river lakes to oversized ponds to lakes stock by AGFC and so on. I bass fish cover. People talk about catching Bass in the open middle of lakes but I never have that great a luck. Most of the Bass I catch are 8-10 ft off the bank in and around cover. Thanks again for you interest.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I fished the FLW Series at Dardanelle as a co-angler in 2007.
Swimbaits were used a LOT.
Not just any swimbait, but weedless swimbaits.
I've had some serious success around hevay cover such as grass and logjams with a Berkley Hollow Belly swimbait.
The hook comes in the box.
Finding the right hook size and weight was the hardest part for me.
You must hook it perfectly straight or it won't right good.
Also, most people over crank them.
I had to back off to a 5.1:1 gear ratio reel to slow down enough.
Next time you go out fishing grass when its cloudy or drizzling, leave the spinnerbaits and buzzbaits in the box.
I throw my hollow bellys on the same rod I use a spinnerbait or crank and I like 15lb sufix.

I will admit, it took me 6-7 trips tinkering with that swimbait before I figured out the right combination of lure speed, hook placement, and type of cover.
When a 5 pounder tried to rip the rod out of my hands, the light bulb came on. LOL

PM if you need anymore help.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
If you can't touch the bottom or the bank with your rod tip, you're fishing too deep and too far from the bank...:biggrin:
Sorry but on a lot of lakes that statement is'nt true. I've caught a lot of good Bass out in the middle of lakes. Those fish tend to see less pressure but may be harder to find.:thumb:

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Hello Buckshot 106,
My name is Ron Duncan and I am the newest member of the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission. I have joined this forum to keep in better contact with the hunters and fishermen of this state.
It doesn't look like anyone has given you a serious answer to what I took to be a serious question. I have considerable experience in fishing so I will throw a couple of things out.
You weren't very specific about the conditions or types of water you will be fishing which could obviously make a huge difference.
Dean Rojas just won the latest Bassmaster Tournament using two different types of bait that aren't commonly used in Arkansas to my knowledge.
The newest of the two is a SPRO Bronze Frog, a topwater lure that can be purchased off the internet for about 8 or 9 dollars. If you are fishing shallow water conditions, you may want to consider that.
The other lure he used was a Slurpees Brush Beaver, a plastic lure which resembles a crawdad which I have used successfully. He was using a one ounce sinker forcing it into the brush. It can be purchased through Cabela's. It is an awesome looking bait.
My own favorite lure is an Arkie Crawlin' Grub on a quarter ounce weedless jighead. It can be used in a variety of situations and I have had tremendous success with it. It's my "fall back" lure. It isn't new by any manner of speaking but I know that lures become popular regionally and perhaps you can put the knowledge to use. I hope this helps.
It's funny how some folks favorite baits are ones that others have had no luck with at all. I've tried the Arkie Crawlin' Grubs several times because they just look like they should catch fish but I don't think I've ever caught the first bass with an Arkie. :smack:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
It's funny how some folks favorite baits are ones that others have had no luck with at all. I've tried the Arkie Crawlin' Grubs several times because they just look like they should catch fish but I don't think I've ever caught the first bass with an Arkie. :smack:
if i had to pick one bait to use forever, it would be the crawling grub. when they first come out and no one was using them, i won 9 of the 12 monthly local club tournaments one year using only this bait.:biggrin::up:

i'm working in nw pennsylvania right now and a local guy showed me a yum product called "dingers" :fit: goofy name but the smallmouth absolutely love this bait for some reason.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,564 Posts
Super Flukes in pearl white....I do catch some fish in deep water usind a 1 ounce lead jig with a 3" chartruese CT grub!:up: The only time I ever used explosives to catch fish, was in Vietnam.....I used what is called a percussion grenade....got many many fish that way....but the VN kids scarfed them up before you could say Jack Robinson!:fit::flag:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.