Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw one today at the store and was thinking about purchasing one for the upcoming deer season.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to have one in my arsenal of deer calls and they make it look pretty good on tv on hunts, but I want to see if anyone here has "real-life" experience with the thing.

Is it worth my $20 or just another fad deer call?

·
Super Moderator
9,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more question...

Get the Primos Roar or the MAD Roar?

·
Banned
385 Posts
Primos......it has the snort wheeze tube on top......it's real effective also.

I was hunting as a guest last year on a club at the confluence of the White & Mississippi rivers that has a strict antler restriction. I noticed a deer moving away from me to my right about 65 yds. I put the binos on him and decided he was on the border line of what was allowed and not wanting to find out the hard way whether he was or not I decided to use my new call to see what kind of affect it had, if any.

I just did a regular grunt to get his attention. When he stopped and turned his head in my direction I hit it hard enough to get the roar out of it but nothing loud or over the top like you see the guys do on t.v.

He immediately started coming in my direction......got to about 30 yds and stopped and looked the area over real hard. He couldn't see anything I assumed so he started to carry on about his buisness. he got back out to about 45 and I hit the wheeze tube on the top of the call and I'm tellin ya........his whole demeanor changed. He wheeled around like sombody had kicked him in the butt, laid his ears back.......brissled up like a yard dog and came back to within 20 yds this time walking all stiff-legged. he was definatel looking for a fight, no doubt.

Again, he stood there and after not seeing anything he turned to walk away.....I let him go this time so I wouldn't take a chance on him busting me in the stand foolin around with him like I was but it was sure worth the price of admission......the show he put on.:clap:

Thats my experience with the call. I don't think you be disappointed with one if you got it.:up:

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
After watching a nice buck chase a doe out of a clearcut last year, I found a spot to setup and started roaring and snort wheezing with my Primos call. I did it 3-4 times and waited a few minutes. I heard a noise to my right and saw the antlers of a huge buck not 25 steps away. He must have slipped up and been looking at me, because he whirled and ran out of sight.

The day after Thanksgiving, I was in the same spot and not long after daylight saw the buck crossing the clearcut about 300 yards away. I got out the call and gave him a roar. He threw his head up and looked my way. After hitting the call again he made his way down the hill, and gave me a good 250 yard shot. (Well actually 4 shots, but we won't go into details here).
I have no doubts he was coming to that call.

I also used it in Nebraska and got the attention of a borderline P&Y buck, but his ladies took him away. The buck actually ran a smaller buck off and he did a snort wheeze.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think I'm going to buy one for this season. I have not used it before, but last year I got set up on the second morning (after taking a small buck on the opening day) and had deer running around the stand. Just as it started getting light enough to find him in the scope, he started grunting. i started grunting back and he came to about 25 yards and stopped behind some bushes. I hit the grunt again real hard and he shot to 10 yards from the stand then he wheezed really hard and shook his head from side to side. I put him in the crosshairs and folded him.

I say all that to say that sometimes it is hard to buy a call like that unless you've heard it in the woods. I've heard it and this sucker was ruttin hard. I'll definitely pay $20 to see if it will bring in some other deer!

·
Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey
13,110 Posts
I've never actually heard a buck "roar". I've heard a lot of grunting, and it's always been real soft and nasally sounding. I don't doubt they do it......I've just never personally heard it. I'll just stick with my trusty Knight and Hale grunter.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Last year I was walking down an old dim road and came across a small spike, he saw me and took off. i got my roar out and hit it really hard so he could hear it, he stopped and turned and came right back to me. Then he winded me and took off again so I wheezed at him and he came back again. this went on for about 20 min. I finally let him go on. I hope it works that well on older bucks.:up:

·
Registered
20,506 Posts
The Snort Weese is supposed to be a dominate buck call. I had a a pen buck close to my house that I use to visit back about 15 years ago, I had this buck weese on me and I had never heard or seen this from any call makers or videos. I thought at the time this was something this buck just did and he was a oddity.

But you could walk up to the pen and as long as you stood up above him he was fine, but if he was close to the fence and you bent down, his hair would brisle and he would weese at you, almost to the point of spitting. I would stand up and his hair would lay back down, I would bend back down and he would do it again. I guess I was challenging him for some reason by getting eye to eye level.

Now this buck was one if you were in the pen in Nov and you got between him and his three does, you didn't turn your back on him and he would gore you. He was a fiesty fellow for sure. There was another buck in the pen and he for sure knew his place, he always stayed off in the corner away from this buck.

But as far as this call, in the wild. I didn't try it last year when Drury and Primos came out with it. The roar part is what I don't know about so much. From the video's I have seen, it looks like a full rut type aggressive grunting call and wouldn't work so much out side of the rut. I figure a normal grunt call would work just as well.

The snort weese part is really from what I could tell is just a small bull horn to amplify your snort and weese. I have done in with just my mouth alone, but not on a deer in the wild. I believe it would be a great call to get some distance if you had a buck out there in the 100 yard range and wanted to try to pull him in closer for a bow shot.

But they tell you, it don't work on all bucks, considering some factors. And that would be you might try it on a less dominate buck and he might shy away, thinking he is about to get whooped again.

My thinking on using the snort weese on young bucks is most likely the odds are you gonna scare him off. But I have seen some 4 pter's who thought they were the bull of the woods in Ark, I guess they just hadn't been whooped enough. Or had many mature bucks in the area to challenge him.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I had two bucks chasing a doe close to my stand several years ago. Three times the bucks stopped and cracked antlers for a few seconds. Two of the fights were about 60 yards away and I could hear the bucks making a very low pitched and loud gutteral sound that was not like any grunt I had ever heard. It almost sounded like a calf bellerin real loud only a lower pitch. Those boys were PO'd and going at it hard for that doe. The Primos roar is close to what I heard. I'm buying one this year.

·
Super Moderator
9,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bought the Primos Roar a few days ago at Gander. I plan on putting it to use this fall and I will report my findings, eithere here, or in my ARhunting.net journal.

Hopefully, it'll be good reports.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.