Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got about 100 chestnut seeds planted in pots. Contrary to the hype, Dunstans (walmart) are not high quality nuts. I've got about 50 Qing, and then a mixed bag of Peach, Kohr and and Qing which are high quality Chinese cultivars. Anyhow would there be any interest in buying these from me when they get bigger. The best time to plant is when they are dormant, so next fall to this time next year. Best method is bare root. Probably wouldn't want to ship so would stick to Central Arkansas unless someone wanted to drive.

These things must be protected until they get bigger. I planted some 2 years ago and the deer ate whole 5' trees down to the ground.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I've got about 100 chestnut seeds planted in pots. Contrary to the hype, Dunstans (walmart) are not high quality nuts. I've got about 50 Qing, and then a mixed bag of Peach, Kohr and and Qing which are high quality Chinese cultivars. Anyhow would there be any interest in buying these from me when they get bigger. The best time to plant is when they are dormant, so next fall to this time next year. Best method is bare root. Probably wouldn't want to ship so would stick to Central Arkansas unless someone wanted to drive.

These things must be protected until they get bigger. I planted some 2 years ago and the deer ate whole 5' trees down to the ground.
Let's talk price but don't count your chick's before they hatch

·
Registered
11,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most places sell the small seedlings for $10-15 and 4'+ generally for 30. I'm thinking probably around 1/2 that for the seedlings, maybe $10-12 for the big ones. That sound reasonable? I wanted about 20 trees for myself so I should have quite a few extras. Checked them yesterday and had 100% germination. As long as the critters don't get them I should have a bunch extra. I'm about 30 minutes from Conway and Little Rock out in Perry County. Some I've got in 2 liter bottles, but most are bulk in the 30 gallon protein tubs. They would have to be bare root unless someone wanted the whole tub. I think I've got about 25 trees in each of those.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts