Any ideas on why this happened?

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Vetrock, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Vetrock

Vetrock Well-Known Member

I recently enlarged a pond. I drained most of the old one, then built a bigger pond around it. We then cut a hole in the dam and let the water fill in to the bigger pond. Most of the fish didnt survive but a bream did. The water stayed muddy all summer, and with the drought, no water started filling into the pond until this winter.

Last week we had a good rain, and I went to see how much water was in the pond. Now the pond is about half full, the water is clear, and all the fish left are dead. You can see several bream laying on the bottom of the pond floor. All sizes - big and small are dead.

I dont understand how the water suddenly cleared up when the water is in a clay bottomed pond, nor do I understand why the fish all died just as the new water poured in. I'm a little nervous to stock it in the spring.

2. Tink

Tink Platinum Member<br>2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest Te

Get a water sample an take it to your local water department or health department an have them test it for any chemical is in there. You might also talk to the GF an they might can help to see what happen.

3. jwalker

jwalker Well-Known Member

Let it fill up b4 u stock it is my only guess

4. thomasw_lrd

thomasw_lrd Well-Known Member

I would imagine the cold weather would have something to do with it. Has it iced over at all? If the water wasn't deep enough, they probably got too cold.

5. Ozone

Ozone Well-Known Member

I have had goldfish last months in a water trough, only to have them all die with one rain. New fish would live in the same water. Could it have something to do with the level of oxygen changing too fast?

6. No-till Boss

No-till Boss Well-Known Member

This is just a guess.

If the bigger/newer area had any green vegetation that was covered with the new water it may have casued a decline in oxygen, especially if you had ice cover for a few days also.

7. dash4cash

dash4cash Well-Known Member

This is by far some of the best advise I have heard on here. In Wisconsin the DNR will help you with pond problems for free. Having the water tested as stated would be where I would start first.:up: Dr. Death may also be on to something with the ice cover as well, depending on the depth of the water oxygen may have been depleted.

Carl

8. Scritch

Scritch Well-Known Member

The only thing consistent that I know of with this is during mid summer in a shallow pond.
    I had a 4ft deep old pond "turn over" in 2007. It loses all oxygen.