Any fly fishermen or people who tie flies?

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by ArkansasBandit, Feb 13, 2018.

1. ArkansasBandit

ArkansasBandit Member<br>2008 Photo Contest Winner

I've been fly fishing for several years, but just got started tying them. Starting to see where this could get addictive and expensive....

JB Weld likes this.
  2. hawgpharm

hawgpharm Well-Known Member

I don't but my bil does. He has used some of the ones he made trout fishing and he also used some fishing at the beach the last time we were there.

3. JB Weld

JB Weld Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I love to fly fish and I enjoy tying Flys. These days though, with our young girls, my fly fishing stuff is pretty dusty. There is hope for the future though! It does not have to be a terribly expensive hobby. I have found good materials at places like Hobby Lobby, Michael's, LouAnn, etc. Be creative in how you use your materials. In my experience, most of the time you can find a more affordable substitute.

This is a fantastic website for fly-tying:
    http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/welcome.asp

Here is the most difficult fly I have ever tied. It is called The Bronze Goddess. Most of the time I am just tying Wooly Boogers, but I pushed myself one night. This fly has lead eyes and is almost 1.5" long. It took me almost 2 hours to tie (I could tie it quicker now that I have done it). It is a swimming fly that looks like a crawdad in the water. I would love to try her out on some small-mouths.

Bronze Goddess.jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    meatgravy likes this.
  4. tmeredith

tmeredith Platinum Member Redneck Slum Lord

If y'all need any pheasant feathers for.fly tying I can fix you up this summer. I can get you a buttload of golden and lady amhearst cape feathers and some of the red tipped saddle feathers. I can get u peacock feathers and some blue eared pheasant tail feathers. I've heard alot of folks use these instead of great blue heron feathers.

JB Weld likes this.
  5. meatgravy

meatgravy Well-Known Member

I do both....poorly I might add. I really only tie a few flies that I stick with. Red ass, scuds, San Juans, midges, and Micro jigs are about all I ever need. I don't go into the art like JB appears to do and I stay clear of Elk and Deer hair at all costs.

fishing8 and JB Weld like this.
  6. JB Weld

JB Weld Well-Known Member Supporting Member

[QUOTE="meatgravy, post: 2868363, member: 525" I don't go into the art like JB appears to do.[/QUOTE]

Most of the time, my big fumble fingers are tying the good ol' Wooly Booger in olive or black. That is my old faithful for trout! I probably haven't tied a fly in 5 years! I do love it though!

7. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member

NE Ark
    I did back in the late 60's and on up thru the 70's. I mainly tied different kinds of popping bugs and what I always called "Bream Killers". I was heavy in to bream fishing back then and loved a fat bream hitting a popping bug.

I still have all my stuff including the Herter's tying jig I ordered in the late 60's. I probably haven't tied a fly in 40 years.

JB Weld likes this.
  8. ArkansasBandit

Yes. I will take some of all of them please.

9. ArkansasBandit

Here are two I did this week. The Adams was my first attempt. It didn't turn out terrible. 20180212_145830.jpg 20180212_164010.jpg

JB Weld, tmeredith and Mr. Chitlin like this.
  10. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member

NE Ark
    Those look darn good!!

11. tmeredith

tmeredith Platinum Member Redneck Slum Lord

Ok remind me towards the end of june. Thats when my birds molt.

12. Bigmac

Bigmac Well-Known Member

I tie all of my flys. I started tying because of not being to buy the flies I wanted when I had the opportunity to fish.

I use to tie all the time before kids but my time has become limited. My only advise would be to buy the materials that are for patterns you want to tie. I would stay away from kits and buy a decent vise and bobbin. Also the sow bug in mountain home in March is a great place to learn from experienced fly tiers. It's towards the end of March. Plus they usually have stuff on sale. Also, you tube has some good videos

13. ArkansasBandit

You are quite literally on my calendar for third week of June. Can't pass up a deal like this. Thank you!