Arkansas Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,515 Posts
Can't Koon hunt on 10 Acres....
The no TRESSPASSING Law killed Koon hunting..
Dogs are expensive,Dog Food..shots,ECT...
Where can you hunt? Public, Private?
Nope...
Deer hunting,Duck hunting and Turkey Hunting...
Every thing else forget it......No money in it..
MUST BE THE WAY THEY WANT IT....

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I’m pretty fortunate in that there is a ton of public land close to home, and there’s still some bigger farms around where I can turn loose with a reasonable expectation that my dogs stay where they’re supposed to be. If I go a few miles south I can hunt up and down the river on Corps land. Bouncing around the islands in a flatbottom full of dogs may not be the smartest thing, but it keeps us off private land. And if I go north, there’s the national forest. Gets rough on the knees and lungs following dogs around up there, but I go to pretty great lengths not to bother anyone. In each of those cases, having a dog that is absolutely trained and will absolutely handle is a must. The pair I have now isn’t perfect, but they sure mind well and tree their share of coons.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I sure miss it. Growing up I had some good ole blue tick hounds. When they treed and their voices changed over, It was such music to my ears. Those are good memories that I will always remember. It’s in the past for me know I guess.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
The sole reason I joined this site was to buy a coon hound. I did just that. Met a guy in conway and bought a 5 year old gyp named Sally. I was in high school then and me and a couple of buddies would hunt 3-5 nights a week for 3-4 months. I hung it up when I got in college and couldn’t hunt them like I needed to. My grandpa and dad hung it up long ago. I still know 5-7 guys that have dogs but idk how much they hunt. I grew up next to a 2000 acre farm that had a creek and ridge that ran the length of it. I miss it. Drove to NiteLite Outdoors in Clarksville when I was 15 and no license to buy my first helmet light. Mom was pissed. Dad understood.

·
Registered
15,189 Posts
I was just telling a guy the other night about back when I was about 12 years old how I was obsessed with hounds and coonhunting. I was like a guy with a bad back waiting on the mailman around the first of the month waiting on the latest subscription to Coonhound Bloodlines, American Cooner and Full Cry.

I remember the long nights of trying to find those dogs with an ATS beep beep system and listening to the old men talk about back in the day before all that technology and just throwing a coat out to retrieve those dogs.

My how times have changed. Back when I was selling my last hound I owned, I had a young guy ask me if I thought my dog would handle well enough to hunt without him needed a (high dollar fancy gps tracking unit). I told him he would lose the dog the first night he hunted him without one.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The sole reason I joined this site was to buy a coon hound. I did just that. Met a guy in conway and bought a 5 year old gyp named Sally. I was in high school then and me and a couple of buddies would hunt 3-5 nights a week for 3-4 months. I hung it up when I got in college and couldn’t hunt them like I needed to. My grandpa and dad hung it up long ago. I still know 5-7 guys that have dogs but idk how much they hunt. I grew up next to a 2000 acre farm that had a creek and ridge that ran the length of it. I miss it. Drove to NiteLite Outdoors in Clarksville when I was 15 and no license to buy my first helmet light. Mom was pissed. Dad understood.
Depending on the timeframe, there’s a good chance I sold you that light. I worked at NiteLite for a few years when I was in high school and early college. They had a payroll deduct system and there were times I’d work a week and still owe them money. I felt like the luckiest kid on earth having a job where it was perfectly acceptable to sit around and talk about dogs or guns or lights, or just hunting in general with customers.

·
Registered
309 Posts
My Grandpa was quite the hunter and dog trainer from what I understand in his younger days. He lived around the Dardanelle area his whole life. I remember being fascinated by him talking about it, but unfortunately by the time I was old enough to go he wasn’t able to. He died in 1984 and I would give anything to have went with him just one time.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I used to go all the time, always kept dogs, in my younger years but haven't been in a long time now. My son just got a young Walker and wants me to help him with it, so I might have to start up again.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts