Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
other than drawing back and holding till you release or have medical problems on using a re curve or a compound there any real advantage to a cross bow? speed seems close in most cases as a compound. they shoot flatter ? they good to 30 - 40 yards i can't use a compound any more. arthritis in my shoulder and right hand . thinking of getting a starter cross bow seen some $200.00 or less that will shoot 270 to 300 fps . i can't afford much more than that.

·
Registered
11,274 Posts
A crossbow is an advantage in that once sighted in it requires little practice and it is drawn while you are hunting. They are uncomfortable to hold while in a stand. They have a shorter practical range than a modern compound bow. The ones I have shot drop like a rock after 20 yards.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
You may want to look for a used crossbow. There is very little that goes wrong with them. Its cheap to replace the string and thats about it. You would probably get a higher end crossbow used for the same money you spend on a new starter bow. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks gang. not sure if i will get one but thinking about it. with a very long archery season just might. at least it wont cost me .50 to .75 cents a round in a gun. oh ok i know i will loose a bolt in the first day or two :doh:

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
There is no real advantage with a crossbow, other than not have to hold a string back. They are heavy, by compairison, they are no more accurate, they do not shoot any farther or flatter, they are no quieter.

I have hunted with crossbows, .... bought my first one back in about 1985. A PSE Starfire. I hunt with only compound bows now.

If someone cannot use a compound, then by all means use a crossbow, but if someone is thinking about getting one because they believe they are a lot better, or are like a rifle..... save your money.....

I have no issues with their use or not used, but I am honest about their abilities. No hype.

God Bless

MET

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i seems to me there about as fast more $ more speed some times. no don't think there a rifle.haha why are the speeds low per 150-175 lb draw ? is it the short draw what 16-18" compared to a 28-30" draw of a regular compound ? are the bolts that much heavier to make up for the 150 up draw weight ?

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Not having to hold your draw is the only advantage I can think of. Most crossbows are heavier, bulkier, and louder when shot than a compound. They are a great weapon for someone who has a disability or for youngsters just being exposed to bowhunting. I killed my first deer with a Barnett (Demon I think was the model :confused:) crossbow and I transitioned to a compound 2 seasons later because I wanted the challenge of killing a deer with a compound. I've been a bowhunting addict ever since.

·
Registered
12,932 Posts
There is a definite advantage in skill level. To me it is much easier to be accomplished at shooting a crossbow as compared to a compound. However, it still demands that you take a short, clear and still shot. There's usually quite a bit of movement in shooting crossbow, too. It's still very challenging getting the deer in so close and not having him see, hear or smell you. It's no slam dunk with a crossbow!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I shattered a vertabrae in 2000, in a car accident and I could not pull my Horton crossbow back. I ordered an attatchment to crank it back and I killed 2 deer with it. From a tree lounge stand, as I am hard headed. The crossbow does offer advantages of less practice and not holding the weight. If it is still on the market, there is a draw-lock accessory that can fit on any compound bow. I saw them using it on Kieth Warren outdoors several years ago. You use step on you riser of the bow and pull back and it locks at the set draw length. It has a trigger and safety like a crossbow, and at least at that time it was legal in most states, unlike a crossbow. I hunt with both corssbow and my matthews, and enjoy both. I enjoy my matthews the most, but I must conceed, that IMO, with noise being the only other difference, they are equally matched out to 30 yards.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
other than drawing back and holding till you release or have medical problems on using a re curve or a compound there any real advantage to a cross bow? speed seems close in most cases as a compound. they shoot flatter ? they good to 30 - 40 yards i can't use a compound any more. arthritis in my shoulder and right hand . thinking of getting a starter cross bow seen some $200.00 or less that will shoot 270 to 300 fps . i can't afford much more than that.
Looks like everything has been said so this might be a bit repetitious. I have a Horton Supermag which is a 150lb pull and shoots a 20-inch bolt at about 260fps. I have killed maybe 30 deer with this thing over the years.

If you have shoulder problems or arthritis problems, cocking the bow will be a problem. As mentioned above, you can buy a cocking mechanism which will take care of that. BassPro sells them, I believe.

Having the bow cocked when a deer comes by is definitely an advantage to pulling back a compound. Much less movement since all you have to do is sight-in and shoot. If you have a scope on the crossbow, it's fairly easy to place the shot in the desired spot out to 30-yards.

All the above really applies to shooting out of a tree stand or maybe a ground blind. I have always used mine in a climbing tree stand and a lot of the shots are less than 20-feet away. If I had to still-hunt, I think I would put the old crossbow up in the attic and forget about it. I would say that at least 75 percent of the deer I have killed with the crossbow have been does which is fine if you are just after some venison.

If you know someone who has one, you should check it out and make sure that cocking it won't be a problem for you. Shoot a few bolts to make sure you like what you see. Never dry-fire one.

The only other advantage I can see over a compound is that it doesn't take any skill to be effective with a crossbow. Once you have it sighted in properly, you can just about pick it up from year to year and go hunting. I can shoot three or four shots on the last day of September and be pretty well assured that I'll have at least a doe by the end of the first week of October.

Cheers.....

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I did some searching and I found the Draw Loc site, they are still in buisness. They have the draw loc for any compound bow and an added foot cocking stirup that screws in where your stabalizer goes. It is ideal for those that wish to continue shooting a compound bow, but can not draw them due to shoulder, and other injuries.. This device is supposed to give any compound bow the advantages of a crossbow and you could hunt in states that do not allow crossbows, just another option. They are at www.drawloc.com

·
Registered
Marlin .308 Bolt and Compound Bow ..
6,006 Posts
I did some searching and I found the Draw Loc site, they are still in buisness. They have the draw loc for any compound bow and an added foot cocking stirup that screws in where your stabalizer goes. It is ideal for those that wish to continue shooting a compound bow, but can not draw them due to shoulder, and other injuries.. This device is supposed to give any compound bow the advantages of a crossbow and you could hunt in states that do not allow crossbows, just another option. They are at www.drawloc.com
Those states that dont allow crossbows dont allow string locks on compunds either...from what I have read..

Horton makes a crossbow that actually has a cocking device built in it has a crank handle and all you do is hook to the strings with clips and then crank it till the string locks in place... Crossbows are also cheaper to buy for the most part you can buy a (Horton) for about avg $350 new $200 used where as a compound will avg around (Hoyt) $600 New.. $400 used

My wife and kids hunt with the crossbow We have 2 Scoped Hortons
1 Dakota SL.. Mine
1 Yukon SL.. Hers :thumb:

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
It has been a while since I have checked different state regs, there are a few that do now mention string locking devices, but not near as many as those that don't allow crossbows. It is a pity, cause it is all good. I hunt with both compound and crossbow, but IMHO, if a state feels a crossbow is too modern, then I guess they should only allow recurve and long bows. Been thinking of getting a long bow or recurve again, so I'd accomodate them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.