Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of yall go through a transition period when hunting season ends? Once deer and duck season ends I become very distraught for almost a month. I sit at work and wish I could hunt but nothing is open. Does anyone else suffer from the same withdrawals once hunting season shuts down? I'm not sure if it's just me. I'll even visit my hunting spots through February just to feel better.

·
Premium Member
29,749 Posts
I didn't know hunting season was about to be over. Duck season just warming up. Best of bow season just getting here. Coon and squirrel hunting with my cur. All that through February. Start turkey hunting in March. And as Yote said - hog hunting year round. And have to work winter time crappie fishing in. Never a day in AR when you can't hunt or fish.:up:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I will spend the next couple months scouting and looking for better stand spots, will bow hunt a few times then start hog hunting until Turkey season then back to hog until it gets to hot, an will hunt some tree rats as well lol

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Nope.
Sounds like you need a winter time hobby. Fishing is a good one. I like to catch up on work around my place. I put up a shoulder that I want to try to smoke one saturday this winter. My jerky meat a d steaks are gone, still have some ground meat but I want to try to supplement with some small game or fish if I can. Hoping to make it till feb without buying any meat. I needed a second deer this year but weather and horn huntin messed me up.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
This is the time of year that I start working on a lot of my deer management projects. I can cut lanes through the woods easier now since everything is down to the bare stalk. Next summer all I have to do is mow them or trim them up. I plant my clover in late February or March, so I've got to start working up the ground before too long for that too. There's always something to do to get ready for next year.

·
Registered
It changes from time to time
6,015 Posts
January looks like a great time to bow hunt for me.

I need one more deer & I've never killed a hog with a bow.

Woods should be nearly empty.

Feeders should be crowded with varmints.

BTW, how do you tag a buck with dropped antlers...same as a button???

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I enjoy turkey hunting but the populations on the properties I hunt have dramatically decreased or disappeared altogether.

I'll duck hunt until the end of January. Except for the past couple days, the weather is terrible. I pick up house projects in February.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I used to get that way by January, but my cameras have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt there are are still some VERY nice bucks roaming around with full headgear into early February, at LEAST! After having encounters with deer only two out of 14 days I've hunted so far, it would be easy to get frustrated and give up. Still...... See above, and I now have my Sherpa game cart to turn my Summit into said cart, and also be able to roll it and my pack/extra cloths in and out instead of carrying all that crap! I'll going deeper in and hunting some new areas that I was totally unwilling to do before, just because of the hassle of getting a deer and all of my gear out.:whistle:

Being a public land hunter, I really like it after Christmas. The woods are close to deserted!:up:

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
You mean there was a hunting season going on? I thought it was still spring time!:head:Nobody even invited me to go hunting since I retired, Guess I should not be such a jerk!:hopeless:

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Do any of yall go through a transition period when hunting season ends? Once deer and duck season ends I become very distraught for almost a month. I sit at work and wish I could hunt but nothing is open. Does anyone else suffer from the same withdrawals once hunting season shuts down? I'm not sure if it's just me. I'll even visit my hunting spots through February just to feel better.
I love the woods from Labor day until Thanksgiving, with my favorite being the October 17th thru November 25th or so.

And yeah, I kinda get a little bummed out when the season wraps up or just watching the changing of the seasons from fall to winter.

·
Registered
15,069 Posts
Shed hunting, small game, turkey scouting, fishing, home projects( so you got more time to hunt and fish) or just take your family out into the Natural State. There is always plenty to do around here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.