Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Member<br>'07/'08 Bowhunting Contest Team Wi
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys use to keep your binos from fogging up? I bought a little bottle of this parkers stuff and it doesn't work at all. Anyone have a good tip that really works?

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mix equal parts of regular blue Dawn dish washing liquid with hydrogen peroxide in a small bottle (2-4 oz). Let it sit for about a week. The Hydrogen peroxide will bleach the dawn liquid and it will become clear. Put a drop on each lens and smear it around. Let it dry. Buff it off with a dry lens cloth or soft cotton rag, t-shirt or other, turning the rag often. Do NOT use a paper towel for fine optics. It may be a little streaky even after buffing diligently. Blow on it and then wipe some more. Will clear up nicely. I use it on my binoculars, rifle scope, and especially my glasses when I turkey hunt and have a head net on. Works as good as anything I have ever purchased and better than most.

·
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I try to not breath on them. As silly as it sounds I think they fog up from the heat coming off my eyes or something. All I know for sure is it sucks and I haven't figured out how to fix it yet. I use them a lot when I hunt. I'd really like to find a good solution. No pun intended

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I try to not breath on them. As silly as it sounds I think they fog up from the heat coming off my eyes or something. All I know for sure is it sucks and I haven't figured out how to fix it yet. I use them a lot when I hunt. I'd really like to find a good solution. No pun intended
Nothing silly about it brother, simple condensation from warm/humid air hitting a cooler surface. Will happen every time!

Like you, I make sure not to breath on them or a scope, and NEVER put either to your eye with your nose covered, as an exhale will let hot/humid air leak by either side of your nose, and heat rises...... Right onto whatever lense is 1/8" above the nose cover!!!!!:smack:

·
Registered
393 Posts
After seeing this question, I did a little reading. I saw where some one said wiping them down wipe potatoes of all things. I tried it today because potatoes were all I had. So far,,, so good,

I also read that shaving cream would work. The guy said try it on the mirror in the bathroom, then take a hot shower. He said that would prove his theory

·
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After seeing this question, I did a little reading. I saw where some one said wiping them down wipe potatoes of all things. I tried it today because potatoes were all I had. So far,,, so good,

I also read that shaving cream would work. The guy said try it on the mirror in the bathroom, then take a hot shower. He said that would prove his theory
I've heard the shaving cream before but wasn't sure about putting it on a 300 pair of binos. The potato is a new one on me. I may have to try them all to figure out what works best or maybe new combination of something.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have to say that the potato has done pretty well. I used a new potato left over from a roast. I had to cut it for it to four in there.

I used my night vision monocular all morning with no foggy Lense! And so far my binoculars haven't fogged up either.

Make sure the Tatar is clean, rub in circles, wipe with a soft clothe (I used a new glasses Lense cloth). Curious to see how it will work wens morning when it's in the 40's! It was 54 when I got out here this morning.

·
Registered
393 Posts
The guy said people used to use potatoes on car windows at the drive-in theater because the heat radiated from the body would fog the windows? Any of you old schoolers heard of this?

·
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just picked up some new contacts this morning and ask the ladies there if they sold anything for it. They said best thing they'd heard was the dish soap trick. I'm gonna give em all a try. You rub the skin of the tator on it or the meat of it? Cooked? Uncooked? Lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.