Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seeing more bucks that still have horns now than what I saw all season? I've had a high number of does all season and now I'm seeing groups of does with usually a small buck hanging around. Now my wife called me this morning at work and said there was a buck out by our wellhouse that was at least a 8 point but wider and bigger than any that I have hanging in the house. So I guess I might hunt a little harder one last time this weekend.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
53,786 Posts
I'm seeing more bucks that still have horns now than what I saw all season? I've had a high number of does all season and now I'm seeing groups of does with usually a small buck hanging around. Now my wife called me this morning at work and said there was a buck out by our wellhouse that was at least a 8 point but wider and bigger than any that I have hanging in the house. So I guess I might hunt a little harder one last time this weekend.
All the ones down here dropped already....:frown:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know a guy up here that found his first shed last weekend, so they've started dropping here. Hopefully that one on my place will keep his a couple of more day.s. I haven't went out in a few weeks since I figured they had probably started to drop them. But i've seen 4 small bucks since Monday around my place and one on the road.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I believe there was some rut activity around my place back in January. On Jan 12th I had a buck (sans antlers) run by my stand doing that growling sound that the Primos and Drurey boys talk about. About the same time I saw a buck obviously chasing does near my house.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I havent found any sheds yet. Me and my son-in-law and I saw 10 or more fresh scrapes Saturday while we were riding 4 wheelers. My daughter saw a buck chasing a doe last week. I saw 4 bucks in one group,3 bucks in another and 6 bucks in yet another group in the last ten days,all still had both antlers. Seems odd to me,usually we have already found several sheds by now.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
It doesn't suprise me that a few bucks are still chasing does. Many times, does will neter estrus until they are bred. Also, the peak of the rut in places like MS and AL, is usually late January.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts