Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone hunt/call them in the woods while the leaves are off? I have them in my woods often on camera and my terrain does not have fields.

Also, anyone do it from a ladder stand? Or how do you do hunt them in the woods?

Thanks!

· Registered
18,662 Posts
Timber is tough calling. Too easy for them to get your wind. It's worth trying, just hard.

The only issue with using any kind of blind or treestand is limited mobility. Not saying you can't do it, but coyotes are usually on the move when they come in. Don't stand still very long.

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Good point above, on the mobility. My stands are mostly hang-ons. I only use a shotgun, when in timber, because many times, they pick you out and bolt, before you’re ready to fire. But my stands are in thicker stuff to start with, not wide open older growth.

· Registered
1,145 Posts
I’ve called them at night in the woods, and they circled downwind and ran off, had a whole pack come in, but only a few circled. We were surrounded, and they were just out of sight. I told my father in law “they’re over here,” and he said “they’re over here,” (we were sitting on opposite sides of the tree, on the ground… lol

· Registered
18,662 Posts
Anyone hunt/call them in the woods while the leaves are off? I have them in my woods often on camera and my terrain does not have fields.

Also, anyone do it from a ladder stand? Or how do you do hunt them in the woods?

Thanks!
You live in Conway?

· Registered
18,662 Posts
About 40 yards, Hornady BB
The BB is what I used back in the day. I liked it better than the T shot. The best is #4 buck, but unless they have changed it, you can't use it in Arkansas. Another one of their old laws that makes no sense whatsoever.

· Registered
18,662 Posts
Yes. :) You?

I did not know it mattered for coyote. I know most of the caliber rules for other, bigger game. New to me...
I'm further west, about 2 1/2 hours.

You might check the regs. They may have changed it. T was the biggest you could use. I don't use a shotty often.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts