Another Gas Log Fireplace Thread...

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by mlriggs12, Nov 27, 2012.

1. mlriggs12

mlriggs12 Well-Known Member

After reading a previous post around gas log fireplaces and seeing the responses, I now have a question...

We have a gas log fireplace insert in our house, we never use it because it seems to be a waste of gas. It doesn't seem to put off any heat. I've lit it before for 30 minutes or so and been able to place my hand on the surrounding marble tiles and they would simply be room temp or cooler. It appears to me that there is no heat retention and it's all going up and out the vent maybe. I'm no expert by any means on these so I'm wondering if there is a way to make this unit more efficient to use from time to time. We aren't looking to use it on a daily basis, but maybe really cold mornings and it would be nice to have it going on Christmas morning, but to serve a purpose and not just for looks.

I've been told by a couple people that I might be able to swap out the logs to a different type, but it was simply a thought. I have no idea what direction to go with this in the event that is what I need to do....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcp

jcp Well-Known Member

Cato
    Gas logs are meant to be pretty , not really for heating , in saying that they will provide some heat . If you have a flue , yes you lose most of the heat when its open . Let them burn for couple hrs turn off the gas and shut the flue and you will get heat off of them till they cool. You'd be surprised how long a good set of logs stay hot after they are shut down

3. Passthrough

Passthrough Account Suspended

We have similar logs. Dont produce much heat but look like a real fire. We have them becuase my wife likes the look of the fire but neither one of us like the house getting very warm. They make log sets that are made to heat your home but most don't look as much like a real fire. Some of the non-vented sets (meaning you dont have to open the flu on the chimney) act like a space heater and put off lots of heat. There are lots of styles out there, just depends on what you want out of your fireplace.

4. mlriggs12

mlriggs12 Well-Known Member

Well of course the wife wants the look of a real fire...but from time to time, I wouldn't mind using it as a supplemental heat source (not a primary by any means). But on the flip side, we don't plan to stay in the house a lot longer before we move on, therefore we don't want to spend a lot of unnecessary money. I have no idea what options are available to put out more heat or what some of those would cost. Maybe the best option is to just leave it as is (since it's been that way for almost 5 years now and I haven't done anything with it) based on the comments provided thus far and use it for looks for short periods when wanted and after shutting down we can close the flue to capture any heat that we can.

Thanks guys

5. jcp

jcp Well-Known Member

Cato
    One thing to look at the vent , if by chance it's vented for real wood ( 12") you can close off the flue a bout 1/2 . If its vented with 6-8" you can close it up a little . Anyone with gas logs should keep a carbon monoxide detector close by , I suggest on the mantle or mounted to the ceiling above. They are cheap and could save your families life

6. hillbillycycles

hillbillycycles Well-Known Member

I can't recall what manufacturer of gas logs ours is, but it has a blower that kicks on at a certain temperature and will stay on quite a while after the fire is out until the temperature in the fire place drops. It will heat up the large section of our house pretty nicely in a short time.

7. BDW

BDW Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey

We have a non-vented gas fireplace that puts out a ton of heat, but uses a lot of propane. We never use it anymore, because we had a wood Buck Stove put in, and that's all we heat with now.