another dumb question

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by carbonelement, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Once again I am asking another uneducated question. Sorry for bothering you guys. When bow season is over or around Feb. I was thinking about moving my game camera out to where the turkey are roosting. Will a IR game camera spook a turkey? Will they set one off? I would like to get some pics of them and see the size of the ones that are out there where I want to hunt them. Is this a good idea or should I leave them well alone? Thanks in advance for educating this unexperienced turkey hunting wanna be, lol.

2. Juice

Juice Well-Known Member

I can't help you with this one, not real experienced with the turks and game cameras.

3. no problem, I'm just glad that someone actually wrote something. I was starting to wonder if I posted it wrong.

4. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

Yeah, a game cam will pick them up and I don't know why an IR camera would spook them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. SR4

SR4 Super Member<br>'07/'08 Bowhunting Contest Team Wi

The IR lights dont go off unless its dark and turkeys wont be out after dark. So you should only get day pics. If something does trigger it at night and they are roosted nearby I dont think it'd spook em. You should be fine.

6. thanks for the help. Once again sorry to bother all of you with my dumb questions. I am just trying to learn some info from you all.

7. BDW

BDW Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey

Ain't nothing wrong with being eager to learn....Good luck. Hope you get a big one this spring. :up:

8. ok, well here comes another dumb question. What exactly classifies a turkey as a "BIG ONE"?

9. englishdawgs

englishdawgs Well-Known Member

Each hunter is different much like buck deer. To me a big one is mostly about beard length and how much of a challenage the bird was to call up. I dont care how much it weighed or how long the spurs were these to me are just Icing on the cake. By the way there is know such thing as a Dumb guestion when it comes to turkey hunting. Just when you think you know or have seen it all a ol gobbler will do something to make you ask a question!

10. thanks, I am sure there will be more questions to come.

11. baldman66

baldman66 Active Member

Edawgs is 100% correct.

The only thing I can add would be to prepare yourself for failure. the good thing is you WILL learn from your mistakes in dealing with the old toms. No two birds are ever exactly the same, but you can always try things that have worked for you in the past when dealing with the big birds.

Good luck and happy hunting.

12. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member<br>2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

No problem...you won't be taking night pictures of turkeys...unless you like to climb trees.....they won't spook from the flash at night...looks just like lightning.

13. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    They all look huge when you see them in the woods. That's especially true when you're a newb.

By and large, "trophy" turkeys are not hunted like "trophy" bucks. I dont know anybody who calls up 2 year olds and lets them walk waiting on a big one. It's all about working them. I have never had any idea how big a turkey was when I shot it. My first bird was a behemoth, and I didnt really know til I got home and got out the tape measure.

There are 3 things that can make a turkey "big": weight, spurs, and beard.

Spurs are probably the most reliable indicator of age, although many mountain birds wear them down quick. Generally speaking, 2yr old birds go .5 to .75". I'd call an inch pretty big, and anything over that is big.

Much like deer, 90% of hunters have never weighed a turkey they killed. You're usually better off just not listening when most people tell you how much they think their deer or turkey weighed. 20lbs used to be a heavy turkey, but they seem to be getting bigger:head:.

Beards vary. Anything over 10" is pretty darn good. Over 11" is great. 12" is awesome! A more mature beard will be thick.

14. thanks. The more I learn about turkey hunting threw reading books and on here. The harder and harder this seems to become. I think I may have bitten off more than what I can chew, lol. Oh well, I can't wait to get out there and learn something

15. woodsnwater

woodsnwater Well-Known Member

I have done very little turkey hunting. Plan on giving it another try. That last year I learned a lot. If a Tom don't want to work and maybe hen'd up, walk away and call ( or hunting with another hunter one walk away and call other stay behind ). Sometimes they will break and sometimes they wont ( So I was told ). I too bee reading on here to learn somethings. Carry on Carbonelement....

16. woodsnwater, trust me I have a lot more dumb questions just give me time to think up another one, lol.

17. davglo35

davglo35 Super Member<br>2015 Spring Turkey Team Contest Wi

These are the kind of pics you can get if you find the right spot. That is the key, finding the right spot. If you set up a feeder and don't get turkey pics in a week to 10 days, move the feeder. If you still get no pics, move it again. When you find the right spot it will produce pics year after year unless there's a big change in the habitat such as logging.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  18. davglo35

davglo35 Super Member<br>2015 Spring Turkey Team Contest Wi

I will give a little advice that is always helpful to new turkey hunters. Call to the turkey and if he gobbles wait and see what the gobbler is gonna do next. If he starts gobbling pretty good I would just sit there and wait. Maybe after awhile I would cluck or purr once and maybe scratch the leaves a little. You will know real quick if he is interested. Don't over call. That is the biggest mistake most greenhorns make. If he gobbles aggressivley when you call or cuts you off as it is known. I would clam up and wait him out. If he is gobbling pretty good and suddenly quits you better get ready. Make your adjustments with your gun quickly and get comfortable. He might be standing in front of you in just a matter of minutes. When you are approaching a gobbling bird try not to get too close. This is another common mistake made by newbies. Find a tree to sit down on and get organized before you ever make a sound. You can always get up if you feel you are in the wrong spot. Learn to use a diaphram mouth call. You don't have to be a calling contest expert to make that last little cluck or soft yelp to close the deal on a cautious tom. Another tip is to pick out a tree to sit down at before you call while walking and calling. Where you set up is of utmost importance. Never sit down where you you can't see much. If you can't see 30 yards you are probably in the wrong spot. Don't call to the birds before the season. Leave your calls at home while you are listening before the season. Don't owl hoot too much. I know they do it on tv but this aint tv. Gobblers that are ready and willing will gobble regardless. There are plenty of crows and owls to do this work for you. Don't be afraid to walk. If you know gobblers are in a particular area park a ways away and walk into the area. They get liplock pretty quick if you ride through their areas too much. Hunt through out the morning if you can. I've killed a truck load of em after 9 am. and a few after lunch. And here's my final tip and its a good one. If you've heard a gobbler in an area and you arrive there and don't hear anything. Unless you've got another area to go try, hang around in the area. Find a nice comfortable spot to sit down and just listen. You will be amazed at how many times you will hear a gobbler if you practice this often. It's one of my deadliest tactics and Im kinda lazy anyway. Hope some of these tips help and good luck this coming spring. The photo attached is my spring 2010 season in Arkansas and Missouri. One of the Missouri gobblers had a spur broken off so I left it out.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  19. englishdawgs

englishdawgs Well-Known Member

Davglo35
    This is some excellant advice. For a New Trukey hunter. X2:up:

20. Hooked Spurs

Hooked Spurs Well-Known Member

X3. That's some great turkey killing advice I would say!!!

I can't reiterate enough how important patience is. The word is beat into the ground for a reason. Just keep in mind, it does pay off to be aggressive at times, but if it makes sense at all, you can be patient at the same time you are being aggressive. Don't over analyze that. Know what call to make at the proper time. Even if you call aggressively at times, be patient to pick your moments when to do it, not just blasting away in 30 minute increments of aggressive calling. Less is usually more, especially when learning the ropes. Be patient when repositioning. It pays to relocate while working a gobbler sometimes, but choose the proper time to do it. Let the gobbler dictate when you should move, but give him every opportunity to commit to your current location. Patience will make or break you as a turkey hunter during a long season. Remain patient and persistent, because entire seasons can be frustrating, but like a light switch, it can change in a heartbeat. The impatient folks have given up a week ago, while you are placing your tag on one's leg.

All the above becomes second nature once you gain some experience.

You have gotten great advice on what is considered a "big" turkey. Consider to that genetics and weather can play a part as well. In some areas, many older, adult gobblers with 1 1/4" spurs may have 9" beards. Sometimes gobblers from the same area have very similar beard characteristics.