Ammo- FMJ or H.P. FOR SELF DEFENCE

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by sparkie, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Arky73

Arky73 Well-Known Member

What I was trying to say is the same indoors or out. Street, house, mall, gas station, doesn’t matter. If it’s defense, you are talking about, it’s feet and yards, and fractions of seconds. Bullet type means nothing. Reaction time, and Shot placement means everything. And in order to effectively place shots in self defense high stress situations, weapon reliability, proper training and practice means a lot more than the type of projectile.

Slingin_Stix and sparkie like this.
  2. bottomlands

bottomlands Well-Known Member

Thats my thoughts to. Ive got all my guns loaded, the shotgums are full on bird shot. In the case of "the **** hits the fan inside the house" that will get the job done. If i have time and notice they are wearing vest or what not, head shots with bird shot will get the job done justt as good!
    Per the OP, when its that time just get some bullets on target and it wont matter.

airmaster and sparkie like this.

3. Hogbreath

Hogbreath Well-Known Member

I saw a spot in a house one time, where someone had shot up near where the wall and ceiling met, right in a corner, I'm guessing it was .410 with probably 6's or 7.5's, but it dang sure was plenty enough to make a real bad man get back.

airmaster and sparkie like this.
  4. sparkie

sparkie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

NEA
    Ok I though that they followed the rules
    Good thing the 410 just needs to be shot in home by the judge pistol.

5. armallard

armallard Well-Known Member

NEA
    I one loaded in the night stand. been trying to find 00 buck but not having any luck.

sparkie likes this.
  6. sam

sam Grand Member

There is also a big difference in FMJ ammo and armor piercing rounds. Lots of folks use the terms interchangeably, but they are not the same thing.

There are also the hard cast bullets. I've got some 147gr hard cast +P 9mm ammo I carry in my Sig 250 and some 310gr hard cast for my 44mag Ruger Redhawk for when I'm in bear territory. It shoots so well in my little Ruger LC9 I've started using it for everyday carry in it.

orangefeetdown and sparkie like this.
  7. JR1

JR1 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

What is the terminal performance on those 147 9mm hardcasts like? Any mushrooming at all or strictly deep penetration?

Back before micro pistols I had a SIG 229 I carried and I used 147s in it. For some reason it really liked them.

sparkie likes this.
  8. LeadPoison78

LeadPoison78 Well-Known Member

Buffalo bore 147gr hardcast
    Screenshot_20200801-153843~2.png

9. BKS

BKS Well-Known Member

Clint Smith “Shoot em in the crotch” “Shoot them till the stop doing what it is that made you shoot them first”

Sure given my druthers I’d rather have premium HP ammo available but if it comes down to it, I guess I’ll just have to shoot them more.

sparkie likes this.
  10. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    Clint sure has some interesting dialogue. I love listening to him.

BKS and sparkie like this.
  11. JR1

No question he possess knowledge far beyond me but his level off arrogance oozes out of every sentence. Turns me off.

Mr. Chitlin and sparkie like this.
  12. sparkie

NEA
    I don't think you will find 00 for it.

13. LeadPoison78

LeadPoison78 Well-Known Member

I don't mind arrogance....if one can back it up. I should have been from Missouri....I'm always saying Show Me.

Lungbuster84, BKS and JR1 like this.
  14. Biggars

Biggars Well-Known Member

I keep 150 rounds of hp here for the 40 cal. And more hard ball. If shtf i’d be okay using either but probably load the hp first.
    For shotgunnin I have several boxes of buckshot and turkey loads. Bird shot may be okay, got some of that too but I prefer the heavy stuff. Aint no sense in wounding nobody. Jmho

sparkie likes this.
  15. sam

sam Grand Member

I've shot a few into layers of newspaper and they don't deform much, but they go deep. Both the 9mm and 44Mags loads are Buffalo Bore loads. Got some kick to them, but not as bad as I thought they'd be. The Ruger Redhawk shoots them better than anything else I've run through it.

As far as shooting in them in smaller 9's, I've got a Ruger LC9 and a Kimber Solo, they both run best with heavier bullets. The Kimber came with instructions to not shoot anything in it less than 124gr bullets.

sparkie, JR1 and Dave57 like this.
  16. JR1

I've got some of those Buffalo Bore hardcast for my .44 mag. Assumed they would be great for deer but haven't had an opportunity yet to find out. They sure shoot good.

sparkie and sam like this.
  17. bullcreekboy

bullcreekboy Well-Known Member

I agree with others that any will do, but my preference is a good hollow point. I believe if you have to use your weapon for self defense, you are better off to end that persons life right then. There are way too many liberal judges in this country anymore and the last thing I want is to have to take care of some sorry azz thug that I turned into an invalid for breaking in or attacking me or my family. Best there is only one story at the end, yours! I ain’t aiming for anything other than center mass or their head.

18. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
  19. armallard

armallard Well-Known Member

NEA
    Sportsman Warehouse has them found them last night

orangefeetdown and sparkie like this.
  20. sparkie

NEA
    :usa:
    Ruger SR40c
    The most dangerous handgun on the planet.
    Compact Pistol on the market with the Smith & Wesson .40 cal. Handgun Cartridge.