Arkansas Hunting banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I have woods I use for my knife handles, from george Washington, thomas Jefferson and Patrick Henry. I have enough for couple of spacers for handles from the original post that held the Liberty bell. Going back even further I got a piece of the lost Ronoak colony I got from southby auction house.
Would you care to tell us what kind of wood it is?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Liberty bell post was pine. TIGHT grain pattern, the Henry was bos de arc , Jefferson planted one tree in his life. The Jefferson society agreed. It was a Tulip Popular. The coolest wood to me is I have a couple pieces of Walnut from the tree that Washington tied his horse to each time he checked on his distillery. There is an old etching of him by his horse at that tree. When you get a knife with that wood it comes with a bottle of Washington's whiskey. ( peach Brandy). The first time i sold one of those set ups the guy asked me why the whiskey came with it, cause the whiskey is rare and i told him, "Bubba, when you pay for this you are going to want a drink".

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I just ran across a story about William Mack Lee, a black man, who was body servant to General Robert E. Lee. He stayed with the General thru out the war, and till Lee's death in 1870.

Mack said of the General after his death, "I was raised by one of the greatest men in the world, there was never one born of a woman greater than Robert E. Lee, in my judgment". Lee had freed all his slaves 10 years before the war, but all had stayed on the plantation until after the war ended.

General Lee left Mack $360 dollars in his will, Mack used the money to go to school, and started 14 churches. He became an ordained Missionary Baptist minister in Washington, DC.

I've been to the Custis-Lee plantation, about 50 years ago, fascinating, beautiful place..I can still recall a certain smell of the place. Think it was a candle or wax maybe with a citrus hint to it.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Colonial America is my favorite history period...
Amazing times, the highways were the rivers and the sea, the frontier and "wild" Indian lands started in western Pennsylvania... people of all religions, backgrounds, and countries were coming together.
The wife and I have vacationed in Williamsburg several times... I can't recommend any place to take your family any stronger. It's a wonderful thing what the Rockefeller family has started there, and the NPS does an outstanding job with their holdings.
If you can ever make the trip east, I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Amazing times, the highways were the rivers and the sea, the frontier and "wild" Indian lands started in western Pennsylvania... people of all religions, backgrounds, and countries were coming together.
The wife and I have vacationed in Williamsburg several times... I can't recommend any place to take your family any stronger. It's a wonderful thing what the Rockefeller family has started there, and the NPS does an outstanding job with their holdings.
I got to see the Police and the Go-Gos play at Bill & Mary College about 1982.

·
Premium Member
12,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
That is all extremely solid advice. Hard to imagine that very little of it was considered fair or right by the rules of engagement of the day.
This might whet your appetite to read about Robert Rogers.... A copy of his rules for rangering:
Rogers' Rules of Ranging (1757)

Major Robert Rogers was one of America's great military commanders. Fighting in the French and Indian War with his celebrated "Rogers' Rangers," he revolutioned warfare with his use of green uniforms (a forerunner to today's camouflaged clothing), adapted Indian tactics and "Rules of Ranging." His St. Francis Raid is recounted in the first half of Kenneth Roberts' book Northwest Passage.

The value of these rules was proven by Rogers and later by Lt. Colonel William Darby when he issued these rules verbatim to the First United States Ranger Battalion in World War II. The Rangers still use these rules today.

1. All Rangers are subject to the rules of war.

2. In a small group, march in single file with enough space between so that one shot can't pass through one man and kill a second.

3. Marching over soft ground should be done abreast, making tracking difficult. At night, keep half your force awake while half sleeps.

4. Before reaching your destination, send one or two men forward to scout the area and avoid traps.

5. If prisoners are taken, keep them separate and question them individually.

6. Marching in groups of three or four hundred should be done in three separate columns, within support distance, with a point and rear guard.

7. When attacked, fall or squat down to receive fire and rise to deliver. Keep your flanks as strong as the enemy's flanking force, and if retreat is necessary, maintain the retreat fire drill.

8. When chasing an enemy, keep your flanks strong, and prevent them from gaining high ground where they could turn and fight.

9. When retreating, the rank facing the enemy must fire and retreat through the second rank, thus causing the enemy to advance into constant fire.

10. If the enemy is far superior, the whole squad must disperse and meet again at a designated location. This scatters the pursuit and allows for organized resistance.

11. If attacked from the rear, the ranks reverse order, so the rear rank now becomes the front. If attacked from the flank, the opposite flank now serves as the rear rank.

12. If a rally is used after a retreat, make it on the high ground to slow the enemy advance.

13. When laying in ambuscade, wait for the enemy to get close enough that your fire will be doubly frightening, and after firing, the enemy can be rushed with hatchets.

14. At a campsite, the sentries should be posted at a distance to protect the camp without revealing its location. Each sentry will consist of 6 men with two constantly awake at a time.

15. The entire detachment should be awake before dawn each morning as this is the usual time of enemy attack.

16. Upon discovering a superior enemy in the morning, you should wait until dark to attack, thus hiding your lack of numbers and using the night to aid your retreat.

17. Before leaving a camp, send out small parties to see if you have been observed during the night.

18. When stopping for water, place proper guards around the spot making sure the pathway you used is covered to avoid surprise from a following party.

19. Avoid using regular river fords as these are often watched by the enemy.

20. Avoid passing lakes too close to the edge, as the enemy could trap you against the water's edge.

21. If an enemy is following your rear, circle back and attack him along the same path.

22. When returning from a scout, use a different path as the enemy may have seen you leave and will wait for your return to attack when you're tired.

23. When following an enemy force, try not to use their path, but rather plan to cut them off and ambush them at a narrow place or when they least expect it.

24. When traveling by water, leave at night to avoid detection.

25. In rowing in a chain of boats, the one in front should keep contact with the one directly astern of it. This way they can help each other and the boats will not become lost in the night.

26. One man in each boat will be assigned to watch the shore for fires or movement.

27. If you are preparing an ambuscade near a river or lake, leave a force on the opposite side of the water so the enemy's flight will lead them into your detachment.

28. When locating an enemy party of undetermined strength, send out a small scouting party to watch them. It may take all day to decide on your attack or withdrawal, so signs and countersigns should be established to determine your friends in the dark.

29. If you are attacked in rough or flat ground, it is best to scatter as if in rout. At a pre-picked place you can turn, allowing the enemy to close. Fire closely, then counterattack with hatchets. Flankers could then attack the enemy and rout him in return.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
I used to live right outside Yorktown, and take bike rides throuh the battlefield and Encampment Loop. I would take trips to Williamsburg and Jamestown by bike.

I was living there when Martin's Hundred (Wolstonholme Towne) was discovered -- the first settlement outside of Jamestown. It was wiped out in Opechecancanough's Uprising.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I had heard that Major Rogers was shunned during the Revolutionary war because he favored the British so much, although he offered to resign his commision. Remember, before the war, we were all British citizens and he was a commissioned officer in the British army. Also that he fell on hard times and died in England. Tom Clavin, who wrote "Dodge City", "Tombstone". and "Wild Bill", also co-wrote a book on Valley Forge that is on my reading list.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Rogers was a very changed man by the time the Revolution started, he had returned to England and was very much a loyal British citizen... although a drunk.
Doesn't take away from his accomplishments during the French and Indian wars, and the frontier fighting. He trained and led many of the men that became the "fighting elite" of the American forces during the Revolution.
I never considered him a hero of the Revolution, but he is (was) a shining example of the men and the spirit that fought to create this country. Came here from England, established himself during rough times, made his fortune any way he could - even counterfeiting... Fought like the Indians and trained a frontier force that excelled.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Wasn't that really called the Battle of Manassas I & II?
IIRC, The official name of the battle depends on who won or... if your a Yankee or a Rebel... Northern names will often be a geographic feature where Southern battles are named after the nearest town or settlement.

There were two battles... Battle of 1st Manassas and the Battle of 2nd Manassas (aka Bull Run) - the South won both so your right

41 - 54 of 54 Posts