Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A zone deer quota permit is not required to harvest a doe in deer zones 2, 3 and 6 during the Christmas Holiday Modern Gun Deer Season.

Does this mean I can kill me a legal doe without a permit, during the Christmas Hunt in zones 3 and 6 and also 2? I got this from the AGFC Website. If so, this is awesome!

·
Banned
10,245 Posts
I think you are reading it correct, but why would they wait till that late in the season to take does out of the herd, it just don't make since.

The biologist say take the extra does out as soon as you can, not let them eat up all the food and be bred just to be shot in late December.

It would have made more since to allow one doe taken with a muzzleloader or have specific doe days during the gun season.

JMO

·
Banned
10,245 Posts
If that was the case Thanksgiving would have been better than that late in the season.

The kids are out of school, and probably more folks are still hunting, many people quit before the Christmas hunt, and the way the Christmas hunt sometimes fall during the week, most folks have to work and can't take the kids anyway.

·
Registered
14,536 Posts
I read through the regs last week, and that part confused me too.

Personally, that would work out well for me. Here in zone 1, you can shoot does opening weekend of rifle and muzzleloader seasons but that's it. I always hold out for bucks opening weekend though because that's about the peak of our rut activity here.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
F909,

You're on the right track, but don't forget about the zone or state bag limits. In zone 3 (the way I understand it) you still only get 3 deer for the whole season - up to 2 legal bucks by any method and up to 2 doe with a rifle. To shoot 2 does with a rifle, you have to have a ZDQP for one and shoot the other during the Christmas hunt. If you do happen to shoot 2 does legally, you are using 2 tags, so you only get 1 buck. So, the only legal scenarios I can think of to fill your tags would be:

3 does by archery
2 does by archery and 1 buck by any method
1 doe by archery and 2 bucks by any method
2 bucks by any method and 1 doe during the Christmas hunt
2 bucks by any method and 1 doe with a ZDQP
1 buck by any method, 1 doe with a ZDQP and 1 Christmas hunt doe
1 buck by any method, 1 doe by archery and 1 doe by ZDQP
1 buck by any method, 1 doe by archery and 1 doe on the Christmas hunt

You can take a 4th deer in any of the 4-deer zones/WMAs specifically mentioned in the book as long as you don't take more than 2 bucks total or more than 2 does with a rifle. Clear as mud?

·
Premium Member
18,385 Posts
F909,

You're on the right track, but don't forget about the zone or state bag limits. In zone 3 (the way I understand it) you still only get 3 deer for the whole season - up to 2 legal bucks by any method and up to 2 doe with a rifle. To shoot 2 does with a rifle, you have to have a ZDQP for one and shoot the other during the Christmas hunt. If you do happen to shoot 2 does legally, you are using 2 tags, so you only get 1 buck. So, the only legal scenarios I can think of to fill your tags would be:

3 does by archery
2 does by archery and 1 buck by any method
1 doe by archery and 2 bucks by any method
2 bucks by any method and 1 doe during the Christmas hunt
2 bucks by any method and 1 doe with a ZDQP
1 buck by any method, 1 doe with a ZDQP and 1 Christmas hunt doe
1 buck by any method, 1 doe by archery and 1 doe by ZDQP
1 buck by any method, 1 doe by archery and 1 doe on the Christmas hunt

You can take a 4th deer in any of the 4-deer zones/WMAs specifically mentioned in the book as long as you don't take more than 2 bucks total or more than 2 does with a rifle. Clear as mud?

And herein lies the biggest problem I have the AGFC! :mad: You should not have to have two degrees from Harvard to understand the language in the rule book!

I'm smart enough to figure it out. I'm sure most everyone on here is, but why in the world does it have to be so stinkin' complicated?

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I always though our game regs were a lot simpler than those of other states. If the AGFC just wasn't so dang stingy with their does it would be a lot easier to figure out. It's easy enough to figure out if you read it enough times. I do agree that they need to get someone else to write the guidebook so more people could understand it better...including the WOs!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.