Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Moderator<br>Deer Hunting<br>Trail Cameras<br>'07
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need some help. we are having a problem with beavers stopping up the overflow tube on a pond. it is about 24'' piece of pipe. it is only about 6' out in the water off the dam. they have managed to get dirt piled up all around the edges of the pipe. they keep stopping up the grates on top of it. we put a big piece of "hog panel" around it and they just stop that up. anybody know of a good method to beaver proof this pipe to keep them from stopping it up? when they raise the level of the pond, it backs up into the spring that feeds it on the other end that is used for drinking water. also, what trap sets would work good in a place like that? thanks, BG12

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I'm no expert by far just learned how to trap a little a few weeks ago. But it seems to me that a castor mound with a foot hold is the most productive and eastiest trap. You dont have to rely on the beaver just happening to swim through a trap b/c the scent from the mound will draw in the beavers. Just build the mound on a beaver run right next to the pond and then set the foot hold trap in the water in front of the mound.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I saw something on the news a while back about some kind of barriers the state puts up in front of culverts they're having trouble with. Maybe something like that would help in addition to trapping.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Here you go. Scroll down to the part about the drain pipes.

You could eventually trap them out but more will come back. It's going to be an ongoing battle so I think I would rig up a pipe like in the link below and then keep as many trapped/shot out I as could. Even without the flooding problems they could build a bank den in the dam that could cause a whole different problem.

As far a sets go. For a place like that I would go with castor mounds with large footholds rigged up to drown. These could be anywhere on the pond with deep enough water for drowning. They wouldn't have to be close to the dam.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex3469

·
Moderator<br>Deer Hunting<br>Trail Cameras<br>'07
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the link, BUUUUUUUUUUT, our tube is vertical. it goes downward, then makes a 90 and goes out the below the levee.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,030 Posts
What you need is a sniper....if ya wanna pattern those jokers, put your trail cams out....once ya pattern them gimme a call:thumb:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I built a ugly cage around my pipes. they havent figured out how to dam that fence up yet.

Right at dark they like to swim around .pop them.

Nick will get you a permit just call!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts