Arkansas Hunting banner

61 - 80 of 154 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,963 Posts
May have to get my Chic Chic Majors Duck calls out and my ol Green head Killer out..
Dust her off...

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Everyone understands that bc of the pandemic and distance learning/working remote that people can simply sit in the parking lot and still meet all of their daily requirements while also holding a spot in line, right? This is just people taking advantage of the circumstance. I won’t be doing it but I understand why if you have nothing to do but sit at home on a laptop why not do it at the ramp with your buddies? This is not a typical year and you can’t look at things in a typical fashion.
I guess most of us are too busy “adulting” to sit in a parking lot for a week.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not gonna lie it’s a fun time at the ramps right now. Like somebody said we are able to get everything done remote so we are just camping and having a good time.

Don’t hate the player just because you can’t camp out days before the opener.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Not gonna lie it’s a fun time at the ramps right now. Like somebody said we are able to get everything done remote so we are just camping and having a good time.

No worries. I’ll be hunting in flooded timber next to a flooded corn plot.....undisturbed.

What was that you said about not hating the player?

·
Registered
22 Posts
No worries. I’ll be hunting in flooded timber next to a flooded corn plot.....undisturbed.

What was that you said about not hating the player?
I’m not mad that you’re hunting flooded timber next to a cornfield. I’ve been camped out and I’ve been scouting for over a week now

·
Registered
25,115 Posts

I mean this with all due respect, really, but it has nothing to do with hate. I could go out there and sit for a week if I wanted to or had the desire, but I don’t. Is it still going to be worth it when you have folks 360° around you with a group 100 yards on your downwind by daylight Saturday? Hope y’all tear em up though, really.

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
Taking about starting early, I wonder if these were some of the same folks I seen at Mack’s 2 weeks ago? Went down there to by us some new deer hunting boots, parking lot was full of trucks pulling boats. Son ask me was duck season in already? We went in, went back to boot section (next to waders) and not a sole there looking at boots. But the wader section was a made house. Here come this girl running to us, “Can I help you?????” Told her what we was looking for, she ask size, and went and got them. We tried them on, didn’t like the fit so ask for another size. She went and got them and I apologized for being so much trouble. She said “Please, take as much time as you want!!!” She came back and I said again, “Sorry”. Then she said, “The longer I can stay here, the longer it keep me out of that mess over there!” (Nodding her head and rolling her eyes towards the wader section). I said, Yea, looks like a nut house. Open wader boxes laying everywhere, waders throwed all around, men walking around as if modeling at a fashion show.

Then she said something kinda funny, she ask me, “You ever saw that show on TV called “Say yes to the dress”?” (Where all the women go to by a wedding dress with her friends to approve of). I said Yes, wife watches it some and have seen it. Then she said pointing over there, “Well, there is the male version of say yes to the dress, wader version! And dang if she was not right, grown men walking back and forth, modeling in front of their group, spinning around 360, front, back, sideways asking “How do they look” or “How do they fit me”. Some even had coats they were putting on with the waders to make sure they got the approval of the rest that they got the thumbs up. We got our boots and was leaving, then it dawned on me, I was able to hear and talk without screaming, there was not the constant sound of high balling of duck calls in there. As we walked by, I noticed there had stopped the test blowing on calls due to the COVID. The calls were locked in the case, and all around it were these folks with a look that would remind one they would see on a crackhead needing a fix and there is a crack rock locked behind glass to see but not get

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Taking about starting early, I wonder if these were some of the same folks I seen at Mack’s 2 weeks ago? Went down there to by us some new deer hunting boots, parking lot was full of trucks pulling boats. Son ask me was duck season in already? We went in, went back to boot section (next to waders) and not a sole there looking at boots. But the wader section was a made house. Here come this girl running to us, “Can I help you?????” Told her what we was looking for, she ask size, and went and got them. We tried them on, didn’t like the fit so ask for another size. She went and got them and I apologized for being so much trouble. She said “Please, take as much time as you want!!!” She came back and I said again, “Sorry”. Then she said, “The longer I can stay here, the longer it keep me out of that mess over there!” (Nodding her head and rolling her eyes towards the wader section). I said, Yea, looks like a nut house. Open wader boxes laying everywhere, waders throwed all around, men walking around as if modeling at a fashion show.

Then she said something kinda funny, she ask me, “You ever saw that show on TV called “Say yes to the dress”?” (Where all the women go to by a wedding dress with her friends to approve of). I said Yes, wife watches it some and have seen it. Then she said pointing over there, “Well, there is the male version of say yes to the dress, wader version! And dang if she was not right, grown men walking back and forth, modeling in front of their group, spinning around 360, front, back, sideways asking “How do they look” or “How do they fit me”. Some even had coats they were putting on with the waders to make sure they got the approval of the rest that they got the thumbs up. We got our boots and was leaving, then it dawned on me, I was able to hear and talk without screaming, there was not the constant sound of high balling of duck calls in there. As we walked by, I noticed there had stopped the test blowing on calls due to the COVID. The calls were locked in the case, and all around it were these folks with a look that would remind one they would see on a crackhead needing a fix and there is a crack rock locked behind glass to see but not get
This is hilarious. But, I am sure it’s 100% true!!!

·
Registered
5,787 Posts

I was there that day, there were a lot of people. I was trying on every king size 13’s they had in stock. I didn’t notice anything weird about it though. It was fun. They even had snacks and drinks and would take a group picture at the big duck if your party wanted it taken. 8 of us went over and just made a day trip out of it.

·
Registered
650 Posts
The commercialization of duck hunting didn't start yesterday.

The back pages of DU, Outdoor Life, etc. used to be filled with ads for hunting in faraway places. But in the 1980's, there was a subtle shift in outdoor writing, and it started with mags like "In Fisherman". It went from being a, "went here, took my buddy, got lost, had a flat, met some neat guy who helped us with the spare, told us we could hunt his place, killed a few ducks, they sure talked funny, but man did we have fun..." type of story to, "go to ____ , between ___ and ____, Here's the map of the area. Undiscovered blue ribbon duck hunting/trout fishing/whatever". It was about destinations to go to catch fish, kill ducks, and maximize the "return".

Along with that, people have less time and more money. People from South Carolina and Georgia will drive Friday night, hunt Saturday, hunt Sunday morning, and drive back to be back at work, and do it multiple times during the season. I used to think it was more time and more money, but I don't think so. With all of the "other" in our lives that wasn't there before, I think we have less actual time (or take less time), and spend the money to try and make up for the time. Cram it all in, throw more money at it, and maximize everything.

And then, there's the Internet. Most people already had trouble keeping their mouths shut, but the Internet gave everyone a whole new way to be ignorant. "Ahhhh...nobody is going to know where I shot these...that guy's picture wasn't a good morning...I'll put up a log picture to make everyone jealous...", along with the "likes" crowd that doesn't see a strap of ducks as anything special unless it gets them approval from people they really don't even know. Pictures used to be personal things...ways to remember the good days and good people...now they are just a resume' to prove you are a sho' nuff, straight up killa.

61 - 80 of 154 Posts