Alligator Gar

Discussion in 'AG&F News and Comments' started by Currdog, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Currdog

Currdog Well-Known Member

I just picked up a new fishing reg book last week and read the new rules of gator gar. My boy and I got the permits last year with no problem but now you have to put in for a tag by Jan 31. May just be me but seems a little early to have a deadline for a new rule like that. Now we are not gona be able to fish for big gar this year!! Yea you can fish small ones but that ain't what we are after. Little more heads up would have been nice

2. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Do u need the permit to fish - or just to keep one?

3. Currdog

Need permit to fish em. You can keep one under 36" with permit but over that you have to have a tag. I believe that's how it reads I don't have the book right now. We spent most of the summer last year after them and only getting one 5' fish. Planned on it again but if I caint keep one hard to justify the time money and effort into it. I'd been glad to put in for a tag if I'd only know in time. We still hunting an thinking about gar coming up but never would have thought they would have done that. My kid had all kind of plans for going after them this year but that's out now!

4. Jayepea

Jayepea Active Member

That's the way I read it too. It's not cool the way they sprung that on us. I like the tag ideal but some heads up would have been better. Call them and see if you have a license & permit that's not expired from last year can you get a tag.

5. SwampCat

G&F will probably say not enough people fish gator gar to worry about working something out with only a few folks. That is their answer to why they dont allow coyote hunting or trapping in May and June

Currdog likes this.
  6. Currdog

Yea prolly so but dang that knocks us out of a whole summer chasing a big fish. Man we put n some time finding fish and trying to figure them out last year an was looking foreward to this summer. Never would have guessed they would have done this. I don't really hear of many people getting big one locally. Maybe commercial fishing hurting the numbers but not rec fishing. They ain't the easiest thing to bag

7. SwampCat

You need an alligator gar permit to KEEP one under 36”. Limit one per day. You need an alligator gar TAG to keep one per year over 36”. You get the permit free and must be valid by Jan 31 2018 to get tag. You must draw for the tag. Cant find out how to do that. My alligator gar permit expires 4/22/18. Everything else expires the end of June 2018. Clear as mud.

8. Jayepea

Jayepea Active Member

If you have a fishing license and viald AGP obtained before 1-31-18, U should be eligible for a AGT. I don't understand the draw process.?.?

9. Jayepea

Jayepea Active Member

Will they email us

10. SwampCat

I dont either, but it says “to be eligible draw and alligator gar tag, individuals must obtain an alligator gar permit and a valid Arkansas fishing license by Jan 31, 2018”. But they dont say how to “draw” the tag.

11. SwampCat

I also just read in book that drawing “will be held Feb 15”. Bottom of page 18.

12. Jayepea

Jayepea Active Member

I like the big ones hope I get a tag

13. Currdog

Yea your rt drawing is February but you have to obtain permit by jan 31 in order to be in the draw. Still some crap in my opinion. We ain't looking to clean up on them but sure would like to be able to fish em. I hope you do get a tag Jayepea!

14. Dave57

Dave57 Well-Known Member

New one on me. Used to catch them back when I was a kid, not sure I would go out of my way to do it though.

15. Thenarwhal

Thenarwhal Well-Known Member

Well, I had no plans to go after gator gar this year but the idea of not being able to if the notion strikes is a little irritating. Next thing you know we'll start having fishing seasons.

Currdog and Allenn like this.
  16. outdoorjunkiebj

outdoorjunkiebj Well-Known Member

They already have fishing seasons in Canada.

17. Jayepea

Jayepea Active Member

If you have one that's not expired then you did have it before 1-31-18. So u should be eligible. Right?

18. Currdog

May be tru! I'll call and ask today!

19. SwampCat

From G&F - if you have a valid alligator gar permit you will automatically be entered in the the drawing for the 100 gator gar tags. If successful in the drawing, You will be notified by email if they have it or telephone if they dont. You should be able to go to the “buy a license” site on agfc.com and see what licenses you have to see if you drew a tag. I looked at my printed license that I bought last summer and it showed my gator gar permit expired apr 22. So I will be in the drawing. Their goal is around 25 trophy gator gar taken per year in AR.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  20. Jayepea

Jayepea Active Member