Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 50lb bag of this stuff. I'm thinking about using the whole bag and pouring it in a circle around these 2 small mineral blocks. Do you think this would be a good idea or just use the rice by itself. I was just trying to get the mineral blocks started.

·
Registered
23,321 Posts
It would be best to put it in a trough to protect it from the weather....in my opinion.

If things are at your place like it is mine they may not hit it much at all. I went from getting 250-300 pics over a about a 3 day span just a month or so ago to getting 30 something pics a week, mostly coons and squirrels.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I built a covered trough for mine. I still try to put it out whenever there isn't any rain in the forecast for a several days. I have put it directly on the ground too. I put out about half a bag at a time that way.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I heard a little secret from a guy in MO who owns a ranch with big deer on it and he said to to mix rice bran, peanut husks (if you can find them) and molasses and the deer love it. As far as mineral sites I have always had much better luck buying the granulated minerals and salt and mixing them together and making two sites away from one another. Seems like the deer like the minerals but didn't care for the salt totally by itself but would eat it well when mixed. Maybe it was just the nutritional needs of the deer I was hunting in that area though. Just experiment, it can hurt anything and you may have something you can teach the rest of us. Looking forward to seeing some before and after pics of a big buck down. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I heard a little secret from a guy in MO who owns a ranch with big deer on it and he said to to mix rice bran, peanut husks (if you can find them) and molasses and the deer love it. As far as mineral sites I have always had much better luck buying the granulated minerals and salt and mixing them together and making two sites away from one another. Seems like the deer like the minerals but didn't care for the salt totally by itself but would eat it well when mixed. Maybe it was just the nutritional needs of the deer I was hunting in that area though. Just experiment, it can hurt anything and you may have something you can teach the rest of us. Looking forward to seeing some before and after pics of a big buck down. :thumb:
How thick do you mix the rice bran, husks, and molasses?
Sportsmanetc

·
Registered
262 Posts
i usually put out the rice bran in a pile, half bag at a time. Pour molasses directly on top leaving room around the edges where i then place peppermint sticks horizontally. Sprinkle them with vanilla extract (genuine only). I then add anise oil, lemon peel, (grated) 2 round teaspoons of ground cloves, 4 large gala apples (chopped) 1 teaspoon zest of lime. Then the most important ingredient is hung in a tree above this pile so that it will drip on the pile, you place (head up) one large adult doe deer hung just high enough off the ground so you can pull it's leg, the way i'm pulling your leg! Hee! Hee!
Sorry just couldn't resist! :clap:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I went down thursday to put the stuff out, checked my camera today and had a pic. So I'm assuming they have already found it. I'm having a hard time determining if its a buck or not. I swear I can see some nubs..

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
i usually put out the rice bran in a pile, half bag at a time. Pour molasses directly on top leaving room around the edges where i then place peppermint sticks horizontally. Sprinkle them with vanilla extract (genuine only). I then add anise oil, lemon peel, (grated) 2 round teaspoons of ground cloves, 4 large gala apples (chopped) 1 teaspoon zest of lime. Then the most important ingredient is hung in a tree above this pile so that it will drip on the pile, you place (head up) one large adult doe deer hung just high enough off the ground so you can pull it's leg, the way i'm pulling your leg! Hee! Hee!
Sorry just couldn't resist! :clap:
man I'm hungry now that sounded pritty good:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I made this Protein / Mineral feeder today takes 2 hours two make 2. I cut a Plastic 55 gal. barrel and a 30 gal barrel in half screwed them to a "A" frame and painted camo. I did drill 6 holes in the bottom in case rain did get into it.

It holds 100 pound of feed mine will never see that much at one time.

And deer are already using it paint smell and all......:clap:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.