Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, now that I have a chance to tell the story...I was struggling to see bucks since the opener last Saturday. Saw a small buck that day...really small. Got to hear two fighting on Sunday afternoon, actually got a glimpse of one of their bodies for a second! Then suddenly, we couldn’t see anything but the ladies with no bucks following. Decided to get some doe meat for the freezer, then regroup for bucks. I hunt public land exclusively, and a few guys were hunting in my usual area, so I didn’t have a chance to get in there early in the week. (just the way it goes on public land sometimes)
Once I got in there, I found fresh scrapes and saw four does. Been thinking most of the better bucks might be locked down with the ladies, so seeing fresh sign and does in the area sounded good.

Hunted there three times, caught him slipping down a ridge to check his scrapes this morning at 8:15.

·
Registered
24,101 Posts
Awesome!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice buck. Don’t see dedicated shotgun hunters that often in my areas these days. Kind of makes me want to dig out some buckshot.
I nearly always carry my Remington 7400 in 280 caliber, but this old Remington 1100 is a real champ using 00 Buckshot! I hunted with a guy years ago that used to switch from rifle to shotgun for luck when it fit his hunting spot...guess maybe there's something to that!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts