Arkansas Hunting banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey any advice is thanked . Im looking to make an all around dog who hunts rabbit, squirrel, raccoon. Can anyone give me any advice on how to do this. And does anyone have certain breeds that they might recommend for what i want to do. Thanks:biggrin:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Im looking to make an all around dog who hunts rabbit, squirrel, raccoon.
Good luck to you sir,

I ain't sure such a critter exists. Oh I know there are some dogs that can be pretty versatile, and maybe there are some out there that can do all you're asking of it. I wouldn't know what it would be though.

When I retired from the Navy and settled out here in the sticks, I wanted a dog like that. Just a general hunting dog, like your grandpa probably grew up with.

I raised a little beagle that made an excellent rabbit dog. As a bonus he would sometimes flush birds, but that was incidental. I just had to more or less hunt with him rather than having him hunt with me. You can't say "good dog" one minute, then "bad dog" the next or you'll confuse him/her, and that could ruin a hunting dog.

I think that's how it is with "all-around" dogs. You may have a particular game animal in mind, but he probably won't. He'll just be out hunting, and you just sort of take what comes.

When this beagle was young I saw him run lengthwise down a log a few times - I knew he wasn't on a rabbit when he was doing that. Maybe if I had worked with him on it I could have gotten him to look up and make a squirrel dog. But I dunno about chasing coons.

Good luck with it -

Spot

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mt. Cur, if there is a dog out there that can do it that would be the one. But its not that easy, My Dog is strickly Squirrel and Coon, but BBD's dog will do it all.

Hummmm, now why do some of these fellas and their dogs look familiar?!!!:up:
I agree, I would have to go Mtn Cur or one of the large Feist breeds like a large Mullins Stock or full Mullins. One pup I raised (went to a soldier out in Virginia) even water retrieves!!! Don't know why you couldn't train one to hunt cottontails along with coon and squirrel or even birds!!! Back when people could only afford one dog and that dog had to do it all, they did just that! They worked stock during the day, hunted squirrels, rabbits, birds, hogs or anything else they could chase during the day and then at night they coon hunted them and then they spent the night guarding the home!! If a dog is smart enough there is no reason why not! They will soon figure out what kind of habitat produces what game so if you dump them out in brush/heavy grass they should pick up on rabbits and if you dump them out in the woods they should tree coon/squirrels which ever are moving. Shouldn't be that hard to train.
Good luck, it would be interesting to hear out it works out for you!!!

Rachel

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
My boykin retrieves ducks, geese, and dove. He will run rabbits and tree squirrels as well. Sometimes the squirrels will fall in a thicket or top of a dead tree. Remi will get in there and retrieve them to hand.

We don't rabbit or squirrell hunt much but he has retrieved over 1000 ducks and geese in 4 years. For some reason he retrieves box turtles as well!!

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
I'm going to throw a third vote in there for the Mt. Cur. It's been my experience they just love to hunt and when not hunting they simply make a pretty :censored: good companion dog.:up:

·
Registered
78 Posts
what you are going to wind up with is a dog that just half :censored:does all three. if you want to hunt rabbits, get a beagle. If you want to tree squirrels and coons, get a tree dog. pick one, get a good dog and stay with it. I had a half feist and half beagle that would run rabbits and tree squirrels, but he would much rather chase rabbits. I don't think you would be happy with one dog trying to do all three. Just my thoughts

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.