Arkansas Hunting banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
I’m ready for 4 duck limits and 30 day seasons. I seriously duck hunt because I run out of deer tags every season. I’ll maybe hunt with one other hunter 2 or 3 times a season. I just love the peace and quiet and I always try to get as far away from other people as I can. If that means going to sit on the creek bank by myself just to shoot my limit of wood ducks then so be it. May need to invest in a good pack of beagles...
This right here.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Had 5 young guys, in 1 boat, come in on me last weekend. I left my light off so they'd just come over and not set up too close. I told em to hunt with me as I was alone so they did. All they talked about was what kind of duck call they had, what waders they'd just bought and their new decoys. I saw an opportunity to maybe show them some things as I could tell they didn't know a dang thing about duck hunting, but early 20s boys don't listen to noone and there were no ducks so I didn't even try. They left at 8 o'clock sharp said they were headed to Mack's. The rest of my morning was nice and peaceful. Just the tweety birds and squirrels.
I’ll be sitting in the boat thinking DANG why did I not bring my fishing pole and some Blue and White jigs? I’ll see ducks off in the distance give them a few calls and they not show interest and a crappie will flop and I think why did I not bring a pole .

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Ah, Duck hunting just got popular and while they were commercializing it got easier. Nice boats, ways and means to get to the back waters with less effort, Texas rigging decoys, waders as comfortable as jogging pants. Clothes that keep you warm, and the Hand held computers everyone is walking around with. Couple that with a new cool thing to show off about and there you have it.
They might fit like Joggers , but will get you wet just like wearing joggers in the water . I’m getting to where zi prefer hunting out of a boat ain’t got to worry about leaky waders then!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
When I was a teenager, duck hunting was considered a poor mans sport.[/I don’t know when that was? It’s a rich mans sport for sure ! 20+ grand for a boat $200+ jacket and waders $100+ decoys $20+ box of shells that’s just starters I haven’t added duck calls thermals that’s now ridiculously high for standard long handles .

·
Registered
88 Posts
My boy, we wore the one hunting coat we had (canvas), walked in, canvas and rubber waders were extra but would last five years, no decoys, Nitro-mags were $4 a box, no leases, no 4wheel drives, no atvs. This was why "poor men" hunted ducks. Also, lots of the Delta did not have a huntable population of deer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My boy, we wore the one hunting coat we had (canvas), walked in, canvas and rubber waders were extra but would last five years, no decoys, Nitro-mags were $4 a box, no leases, no 4wheel drives, no atvs. This was why "poor men" hunted ducks. Also, lots of the Delta did not have a huntable population of deer.
I bought a many of those $4 box Nitro Mags from C.B. Thompson Grocery before the Fort Thompson days !

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Back in them days you could hunt any where no body cared it wasn’t until the $$$ started trading hands did things head south ! I had them canvas waders too , but it wasn’t til the 90’s that I started hunting ducks and everything got pricy . I hunted in Army Surplus coats canvas waders then found some Neoprene on sale at Walmart .I still got them they leak like the titanic ,but still got them .

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I remember stories of my Grandpa, uncles and cousins duck huntin and getting the down off the birds to make pillows .

41 - 53 of 53 Posts