Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it’s been mentioned many times but it makes me sick to see what “most” of the younger hunters are about these days. I used to be obsessed with duck hunting and still know guys that are. When I was hardcore, the last thing me and my people were worried about was brands of clothing, advertising good days, racing boats, brands of decoys, LED lights, etc. What happened? We went to camp to take a break from wives/girlfriends. These new guys have turned it into a joke. Social media? I don’t know, maybe if I was 30 yrs younger I’d be doing it too. I really think the actual hunt is less important than saying you went out and ran your new boat in the scatters and took pictures of your cool decoys. Please stop. I’m ashamed

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think one problem is a shortage of mentors in today’s waterfowl. Number of reasons for this, but a big one is young hunters burn their mentors by hunting another’s holes. My dad taught me to hunt deer, squirrel, turkeys but he was not a waterfowl hunter. Had some older cousins that showed me the ropes. Hunted with them for 5-6 years before I moved and had to branch out on my own. Glad they taught me the old ways.

·
Registered
809 Posts
It’s the same with deer hunting too, whatever is cool is what everyone’s wearing. Those fancy drake jackets are expensive and I don’t see how they’re any different quality from other jackets. I had my 14yo nephew over last year and he had one on and I asked him if he hunted and said no he just liked the jacket. Just stupid. My brother even came home from school wanting one just bc all the cool kids had them. What is wrong with people, it’s not just kids either you know, some adults have to have the best of everything. I’m just old school I guess, I’ll wear and use whatever works.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I feel for the tree rats cause folks will start looking their way when they can’t find ducks.
Ready to see some full on foot races with Laika's, Cur's and Feists all fighting behind them. Going to have to rebrand the squirrel barker call that's been out forever, figure out how to cut them down. Put stickers with small font on the barrels of our Ruger 10-22's. Banded brand small game vests, and $120 pair of gloves with special grips to help when pulling vines. I'm already "Sick for it."

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Had 5 young guys, in 1 boat, come in on me last weekend. I left my light off so they'd just come over and not set up too close. I told em to hunt with me as I was alone so they did. All they talked about was what kind of duck call they had, what waders they'd just bought and their new decoys. I saw an opportunity to maybe show them some things as I could tell they didn't know a dang thing about duck hunting, but early 20s boys don't listen to noone and there were no ducks so I didn't even try. They left at 8 o'clock sharp said they were headed to Mack's. The rest of my morning was nice and peaceful. Just the tweety birds and squirrels.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Ah, Duck hunting just got popular and while they were commercializing it got easier. Nice boats, ways and means to get to the back waters with less effort, Texas rigging decoys, waders as comfortable as jogging pants. Clothes that keep you warm, and the Hand held computers everyone is walking around with. Couple that with a new cool thing to show off about and there you have it.

·
Registered
10,138 Posts
Had 5 young guys, in 1 boat, come in on me last weekend. I left my light off so they'd just come over and not set up too close. I told em to hunt with me as I was alone so they did. All they talked about was what kind of duck call they had, what waders they'd just bought and their new decoys. I saw an opportunity to maybe show them some things as I could tell they didn't know a dang thing about duck hunting, but early 20s boys don't listen to noone and there were no ducks so I didn't even try. They left at 8 o'clock sharp said they were headed to Mack's. The rest of my morning was nice and peaceful. Just the tweety birds and squirrels.
Lots of boats were leaving early when I was at Bayou Meto last weekend. Probably headed to Macks or Webbs.

·
Registered
677 Posts
These youngsters are a prime example. Hunting the Army area of the 440 loop. I seriously hope it was worth it. They are lucky they didn't get locked up.

Screenshot_2021-01-07-18-07-51.png

·
Registered
772 Posts
Ready to see some full on foot races with Laika's, Cur's and Feists all fighting behind them. Going to have to rebrand the squirrel barker call that's been out forever, figure out how to cut them down. Put stickers with small font on the barrels of our Ruger 10-22's. Banded brand small game vests, and $120 pair of gloves with special grips to help when pulling vines. I'm already "Sick for it."
Imagine how many squacks you can get in a log pic!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I’m ready for 4 duck limits and 30 day seasons. I seriously duck hunt because I run out of deer tags every season. I’ll maybe hunt with one other hunter 2 or 3 times a season. I just love the peace and quiet and I always try to get as far away from other people as I can. If that means going to sit on the creek bank by myself just to shoot my limit of wood ducks then so be it. May need to invest in a good pack of beagles...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts