Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a DPMS Ar15. That I've never shot. I've been thinking about turning it into a youth gun for my daughter to deer hunt with. My question is for those of you that may have any experience with those types of sights. Are the accurate enough to place a good shot on a deer out to 100 yds? I'm not intrested in debating the merits of a .223 for deer hunting so save it. I will move her up has soon as I feel she is ready. Thanks for any input based on experience

·
Administrator
88,036 Posts
With an experienced shooter, no problem. I regularly shoot with people that use Aimpoints and EOTech's out to 300M or more on 6 and 8" plates. My old eyes aren't that good.

Will the rifle and sight do the job, absolutely. Just make sure your daughter gets some trigger time with it and see how far out she can reliably shoot the red dot.

Your rifle should probably have a 1:9 barrel in it. Get her some good ammo in the 60-70 grain range and she should have no problem bringing home the venison. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I would much rather have a good variable scope. I've got an Eotech and a Burris Fastfire but they aren't near as good for precision shooting. They are great for up close but that's about it.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
With an adjustable stock the variable here is from the cheek weld to the shoulder so where she places her cheek on the stock shouldn't change. That said, the red dot sights have infinite eye relief so there is another mark in the plus column.

·
Administrator
88,036 Posts
With an adjustable stock the variable here is from the cheek weld to the shoulder so where she places her cheek on the stock shouldn't change. That said, the red dot sights have infinite eye relief so there is another mark in the plus column.
On an adjustable AR stock the shoulder and cheek stay the same, the length of pull changes. The cheek stays in the same place on the rear part of the stock, the variable is that the rear slides over the buffer tube adjusting the LOP, which would also change the distance from the eye to the scope.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
My point was that the cheek weld of a full grown man should be the same distance from the scope as that of a small girl if the stock was adjusted properly to compensate for her smaller stature.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.