AGFC Rules and regs and WMA

Discussion in 'Predators, Varmints, and Hogs' started by nontypical, Dec 19, 2010.

1. nontypical

nontypical Well-Known Member

Why is it you cant use a caller and centerfire rifle to kill hogs or predators on wma's but they are worried to death about them. Take Harold E for example almost 17000 acres known to have hogs and predator problems but you can only use a bow to hunt them with? I understand if it is a small wma but some of these are 20000 acres plus.

2. neotoxo

neotoxo Super Member<br>'08 Smackdown Team Winner

You may wish to revisit the regulations...section 20.02 specifically...you may
    find your Exception there...

3. jonathan_f2003

jonathan_f2003 Well-Known Member

The way the book reads as long as bobcat coyote or fox season is in you can take them with any .30 caliber and under as long as it is a comission owned wma.

4. Cjdavis618

Cjdavis618 Well-Known Member

Just as jonathan said above, it must be Commision owned land to do that. But in this case, it is a mix. I would suppose that if you had a current plat map, and knew what are the AGFC land locations were, it would be legal.

I see no specific mention of not using .30 cal or less on the harold E. information sheet for that WMA. The regs simply state comminsion owned and 13k+ acres are commision owned. The rest is the heritage land contributions.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  5. nontypical

Guess I read it different take Big Lake for instance it says you can only use rimfire weapon and only has a season for deer, squirrels, and a few other seasons does not have a season for coyotes or bobcats. Then Harold E says

Seasons and Regulations
    Turkey:
    2011 spring turkey season dates will be set at the October Commission meeting.
    Deer:
    Deer Archery: Oct. 1-Feb. 28.
    Deer Muzzleloader (permit hunt): Oct. 23-27.
    Deer Modern Gun (permit hunt): Nov. 13-17.
    Deer Notes: No dogs allowed. Seasonal bag limit of three deer; no more than two legal bucks. No more than two legal bucks or up to three does may be taken with archery tackle. No more than one legal buck or one doe may be taken during the muzzleloader or modern gun permit hunts.
    Deer Permit:
    Deer hunting on this area is restricted to special permit hunts.
    Click here for more information and to apply.
    Bear:
    Bear Archery: Oct. 1-Nov. 30. Statewide bag limit. No dogs.
    Bear Muzzleloader: Oct. 9-13 (deer permit holders only). Statewide bag limit. No dogs.
    Bear Modern Gun: Nov. 6-10 (deer permit holders only). Statewide bag limit. No dogs.
    Quail:
    Nov. 1-Feb. 6. Daily limit - 6, possession limit -12. Bird dogs allowed.
    Rabbit:
    Sept. 1-Feb. 28. Daily limit - 8, possession limit - 16. Dogs allowed except during firearms deer hunts.
    Squirrel:
    May 15-Feb. 28. Dogs allowed except during firearms deer hunts. Daily limit - 8, possession limit - 32.
    Crow:
    Sept. 4-Feb. 20. Open Thursdays through Mondays. No limit.
    CLOSED:

* Alligator
    * Elk
    Hunting Opportunities
    The major hunting opportunity is white-tailed deer. Three deer permit hunts are held each year; 1 muzzleloading and 2 modern gun. At each permit hunt an average of 300-450 permits are issued on a computer drawing basis. Archery season is the same as the zone regulations and dates. Turkey hunting by gun is by permit only. Five permit hunts are held each year with one hunt being a youth hunt. Approximately 30 permits are issued for each hunt. Turkey hunting using archery tackle is the same as the zone. Other hunting opportunities exist with squirrel, rabbit and quail. All permit hunts are for permit holders only. All other seasons are closed during permit hunts.
    Big Lake

Deer:

Deer Archery: Oct. 1-Feb. 28.
    Deer Modern Gun: Nov. 13-14. This area has special firearms restrictions; see Area Notes.
    Deer Modern Gun Special Youth Hunt: Nov. 6-7
    and Jan. 1-2. This area has special firearms restrictions; see Area Notes.
    Deer Notes: No dogs allowed. Seasonal bag limit of three deer; no more than two legal bucks. No more than two legal bucks or up to three does may be taken with archery tackle. No more than two legal bucks may be taken during the modern gun season. Bag limit during the modern gun special youth
    hunt is two deer, no more than two bucks (no antler restrictions) or up to one doe. These are not bonus deer and will count towards the seasonal bag limit.
    Quail:
    Nov. 1-Feb. 6. Daily limit - 6, possession limit -12. Bird dogs allowed.
    Rabbit:
    Sept. 1-Feb. 28. Daily limit - 8, possession limit - 16. Dogs allowed except during firearms deer hunts.
    Squirrel:
    May 15-Feb. 28. Dogs allowed except during firearms deer hunts. Daily limit - 8, possession limit - 32.
    Crow:
    Sept. 4-Feb. 20. Open Thursdays through Mondays. No limit.
    CLOSED:

* Deer muzzleloader
    * Bear
    * Alligator
    * Elk

Area Notes:

* Only shotguns with slugs (no buckshot) or muzzleloading rifles shooting a single projectile are allowed during modern gun hunts.

Help me out here. How can you hunt in the wma if it does not have a season much less carry a centerfire weapon?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  6. nontypical

And last this is what else it says.

On Wildlife Management Areas:
    Hunters may kill feral hogs on WMAs during daylight hours during any open hunting season.
    • They must use a weapon that is legal for that season.

* During special WMA permit hunts, only permit holders may be on the WMA.
    * Feral hogs killed on WMAs can be taken for processing or left where they were shot.
    * Hunters may not use dogs, bait or traps to hunt feral hogs on WMAs.
    * Hunters may not hunt hogs at night on WMAs.

7. Cjdavis618

Here is your answer: (Although for some stupid reason AGFC decided that printing seasons on furbearers wasn't needed for any WMA. But it isn't listed as closed either.)

Species: Coyote
    Zones: Statewide
    Opens: 7/1/2010 Sunrise
    Closes: 2/28/2011 Sunset
    Limits: No limit. Dogs allowed except when deer seasons for that deer zone prohibit the use of dogs.
    More: Day hunting only.
    Coyote may be taken with archery equipment, firearms no larger than .30 caliber or shotguns with shot no larger than T shot. Coyotes may be taken during any open deer, bear or squirrel season with hunting equipment legal for that season.

Of course, I am not up on the hog regs. Just the predator regs.

8. nontypical

It is so confusing :banghead: Thanks though, it just almost leaves it way to open for them.

9. Cjdavis618

I hear you for sure but it reminds me of a day that I was attending a commision meeting.

During the meeting, one of the employees got up and explained some details to the commission about one of the topics. I believe it was related to fishing regs. The guy set down and then they called one of the legal guys to speak about it. After the 30 minute long speech (And legal reading of the topic - 4 pages long, front and back.) The Legal guy sat down. Then the first guy stood up and said. ( "Excuse me for the interuption, But I said the same thing in a 1/4 page paragraph to your email.") He shook his head and everybody laughed in the seats and the legal guy had a very ticked look on his face. :fit:

10. nontypical

This in itself is confusing the way I read that is you can only use what is legal for that season example Harold E does not allow guns for deer its bow only and squirrel you can only use a rimfire. Therefor you could only kill a coyote with a rimfire or a bow.

11. Cjdavis618

The period is where that comes into play.

Since the .30cal rule is applied to Coyotes and predators, once Deer season (in this example) is open, you could use bigger shot such as Buckshot or 30. cal or bigger. If you have a 45-70, then it would be legal to use that, but not out of Deer season. Once season is over, back to .30 cal or less and Tshot or less.

Does that make sense?

12. nontypical

Thanks that makes since. Would you mind going to work for them and rewrite that darn book so the common folk can understand it better. :biggrin:

13. Cjdavis618

I would love you. Believe me, if I was in there, I would certainly try to change the rules for hunting predators. But that pesky legal department is there so they can have 690 street vehicles and 618 employees. :fit:

14. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator

NE Ark
    Personally, before I went to HEA or Big Lake, or any other WMA for that matter, to hunt predators with a centerfire rifle, I would get it in writing that it was legal and carry that piece of paper with me while hunting.

Every person can read those regs a different way. Too many WO's seem like they are just itching to write tickets and in general harass the hunters any way they can.

15. nontypical

I know that's right its like everything in that book has an in and out for the AGFC.

16. dirtdart

dirtdart Well-Known Member

Or build a .22 rimfire that would hold 20gr's of powder.

These crazy rules. That's what happens when you try to regulate and enforce from a desk. They just can't say if a season's closed....you can't shoot it. They have to make sure you don't have the means to kill it. Next they'll take the .22's away from the squirrel hunters because some commissioner will be kicked in the junk by the good idea fairy and convince everyone that there are more illegal deer taken by .22's than anything so we'll outlaw them also.

Never want to combat the issue...enforce with enforcement measures...it's easier to do it from a chair and hope to keep honest people honest while the outlaws are left to destroy all they can.

No surprise...they'll request another tax issue soon so they can get more money...that way they can close more turkey seasons, do less with more, and train their people how to hunt out of state without license and not get caught.

17. dscollin

dscollin Member

don't get me started on the g&f comm they got all the millons of $ for gas lease for gulf mt wma and have not spent a dollar on it thay also got a millon and some for pj wma but don't know what they done to it O i forgot they did built a circle road and called it a car tour looks like a field to me and the roads are falling apart and we've seen less deer & turkey then i"ve seen in 20 yr's around there they say it's because of all of the gas guy's running around up there but they've not been in there since the last week of september there i feel better now

18. mwmwbm

mwmwbm Well-Known Member

Keep in mind there is Big lake WMA and Big Lake NWR

19. nontypical

They should also have maps that show the commishioned owned land as well bu t be easier for them to write a ticket this way.

20. cacheman

cacheman Well-Known Member

I'm assuming that the "no larger than .30 caliber" rule is to keep people from shooting deer out of season. If this is the case, and one can predator hunt with a 30-30, 30-06, 270, 243 etc. all of which are popular choices for deer. What is the purpose of the rule?