Arkansas Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
I too wish they’d just stick to the original water management plan of leaving it dry every 4 years etc.

the lowest / most flood prone areas where you’d assume the most damage is occurring will still be crotch deep with the water dropped a foot. This will only pull water off the least flood prone areas that in theory should be healthier trees if winter flooding is the culprit

That said I’ve seen some very sick / dying timber on the high (er) ground. I attribute that to several years of record summer flooding on the Arknasas river over the last 10 years.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Execute the plan in place and complete the Bayou Meto Water Project. 786 million has already been spent by taxpayers for a pump that does not function. It’s not completed because of 2 million needed. How much more money is agfc going to waste chasing this? 786 million should have people asking more questions than they are. Who got these contracts?

With 786 million dollars agfc could have bought some new timber ground or built some. Wtf happened………

Why did we spend 786 million already? What was the purpose?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I hope there will be a large hunter turnout at the public meetings that the AGFC are going to hold to discuss our WMA's. I am listing the meeting dates below:

I understand that AGFC's hands are somewhat tied on things they that they can control but it is pretty frustrating that their response will limit access for thousands of hunters. I am going to personally file a FOIA and request any recommendations from biologists regarding flooding. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at the Glaise creek gauge and see that when the boards are pulled, the entire WMA drains very quickly. 2 - weeks is a conservative time frame for the WMA to completely drain, provided the river is not flooded.

Like I mentioned though, I understand that their hands are tied. In 2012 the AGFC was successful in a lawsuit against the US Corps of Engineers for timber damage cause by flooding to Dave D. I believe there is more than enough evidence to prove the same is happening at Hurricane. For 4 consecutive years the White river lakes have been held high during winter and spring seasons and caused extreme flooding for most of the summer (into July). The USACE has nearly 1000 MW of hydro power on the White river Lakes, so they definitely have incentive to hold these lakes high and ensure that there is plenty of water to generate into the late summer. For reference, I would bet that these hydro plants profited 100 Million + dollars during the February storm alone. I hope our bureaucratic state agency sees things the same way that I do, especially since there is an existing supreme court decision that indicate the AGFC would at lease get a settlement (USACE offered 5 Million dollars during the black river lawsuit).

I lean towards being a skeptic when it comes to G and F, so I will hang up and listen.
You really think AGFC hasn't looked in to that?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I noticed on there website, they are closing the nimmo boat ramp to do repairs as well, I understand them having to wait for water to be right and all, but possibly take 2 or more months to get it done?? A good trackhoe and dozer with the right crew should have that done in 1 month tops and that’s with the concrete setting. Why the heck does it take them that long? Somebody please help me out in my thinking? I hope this gets questioned at the meeting as well.
Execute the plan in place and complete the Bayou Meto Water Project. 786 million has already been spent by taxpayers for a pump that does not function. It’s not completed because of 2 million needed. How much more money is agfc going to waste chasing this? 786 million should have people asking more questions than they are. Who got these contracts?

With 786 million dollars agfc could have bought some new timber ground or built some. Wtf happened………

Why did we spend 786 million already? What was the purpose?
That was federal tax dollars, I think AGFC contributed ~$1.5mil
Pretty interesting how folks know what needs to be done but really most havent done any homework.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I too wish they’d just stick to the original water management plan of leaving it dry every 4 years etc.

the lowest / most flood prone areas where you’d assume the most damage is occurring will still be crotch deep with the water dropped a foot. This will only pull water off the least flood prone areas that in theory should be healthier trees if winter flooding is the culprit

That said I’ve seen some very sick / dying timber on the high (er) ground. I attribute that to several years of record summer flooding on the Arknasas river over the last 10 years.
Where did you see a plan of being dry every 4 years? To my knowledge it doesn't exist.
I'm not sure on your logic about the healthier trees being on higher elevations... the lower portions has been modified(red oaks died off already) to a wetter species that can tolerate whereas the higher elevations still has the species that should be there but where there due to the shorter periods of inundation. Then add the levees and now longer periods before dormancy and lack of flow is killing the high elevation trees.
To me it looks like most are greedy and want to hunt the full 60 days in the woods, which rarely occured naturally. The best plan would be for a 50 day season starting December 7th. Dont flood anything until then and bounced the full pool elevations year to year. A form of this is the only way to keep some gtrs in the state for the next 100 years.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Someone ought to be slapped for suggesting lowering full pool in the winter months slightly is going to somehow fix the bayou meto water problem. A real problem exists but this is nothing more than a distraction. I get the bayou meto water district newsletter and the water project has been touted for years. Signs erected. Work done in areas. Now it’s fallen flat. Agfc ought to sell a couple nature centers and allocate the money to address the real issue - spring/summer flooding.
The same infrastructure that is in place now is causing the damage during any season. The infrastructure has to be modified to the right size to pass water year round.
I guess you know exactly when/how trees enter dormancy?

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
I know they aren’t dormant when they are flooded all spring and summer. That’s the problem that needs focus/drastic action. Doing this and calling it good ain’t gonna work.

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
Where did you see a plan of being dry every 4 years? To my knowledge it doesn't exist.
I'm not sure on your logic about the healthier trees being on higher elevations... the lower portions has been modified(red oaks died off already) to a wetter species that can tolerate whereas the higher elevations still has the species that should be there but where there due to the shorter periods of inundation. Then add the levees and now longer periods before dormancy and lack of flow is killing the high elevation trees.
To me it looks like most are greedy and want to hunt the full 60 days in the woods, which rarely occured naturally. The best plan would be for a 50 day season starting December 7th. Dont flood anything until then and bounced the full pool elevations year to year. A form of this is the only way to keep some gtrs in the state for the next 100 years.
The areas I’m talking about arent flooded when the gtr is at full pool…..
I’ve lost 1 in 4 of my mature red oaks that are also flooded by the arkansas river. I have no levees. My problem is spring and summer water inundation from a consistently high river. The trees were healthy 20 years ago. Increased rainfall is the root of the issue. What I’m seeing on my property is similar to what is happening at bayou meto. I frequent both regularly and have seen the evolution.

White Font Line Material property Parallel

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
Mic drop

·
Registered
The Sword of the Spirit
899 Posts
Hot water does kill hardwood timber. It may not be the sole determinant but it can be a factor speaking as the son of an old school Arkansas A&M Registered Forester. I would argue he was the best in the state at what he did when he was with us but I am biased.

God put trees in a certain order in certain places for His purposes. He floods certain land in certain places in a certain order of time for His purposes. Contravening His perfect order creates chaos on many levels in life.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hot water does kill hardwood timber. It may not be the sole determinant but it can be a factor speaking as the son of an old school Arkansas A&M Registered Forester. I would argue he was the best in the state at what he did when he was with us but I am biased.

God put trees in a certain order in certain places for His purposes. He floods certain land in certain places in a certain order of time for His purposes. Contravening His perfect order creates chaos on many levels in life.
Stagnant water is the problem. Its takes long for cooler stagnant water to kill them compared to summer time. But the point that most miss is stagnant water. Flow is the only reason the unleeveed river bottoms are all dead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't think that's anything close a mic drop.

By following this issue for years, watching the new director's special press conference, and reading the materials that have come out since, it sounds like 1) the timber health is so critical that even a four year cycle would be too much for the trees and 2) their 60-year-old infrastructure is so overwhelmed that they don't have the ability to execute that strategy.

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
I don't think that's anything close a mic drop.

By following this issue for years, watching the new director's special press conference, and reading the materials that have come out since, it sounds like 1) the timber health is so critical that even a four year cycle would be too much for the trees and 2) their 60-year-old infrastructure is so overwhelmed that they don't have the ability to execute that strategy.
If that’s the case then how will lowering flood pool 1 foot help anything?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts