Votes: 71 37.0%
  • No

Votes: 121 63.0%
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you satisfied with the way our game is being managed?

Here is their mission statement:

The mission of the Arkansas Game & Fish Commission is to wisely manage all the fish and
wildlife resources of Arkansas while providing maximum enjoyment for the people.
It's a simple yes or no question with no gray area.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I voted no, because there are a few things that the G&F could do to make hunting more enjoyable.

1. Make fines high enough that it would discourage poaching (look at Colorado or Alaska for example).

2. Hire more Game Wardens and patrol the woods more often.

3. Stand up for the private land owners and leasers that do not want deer dogs on their property and enforce Code 11:08 about fining dog owners who let their dogs get on property where they are not wanted. Make deer dog hunters keep their dogs on their property or fine them or take away their right to run dogs.

LC

·
Administrator
87,182 Posts
I think you can see by the long term messages left on this board that most are not satisfied with the AGFC, how it manages the resources, and how the hunters are treated.

When you look at other states that allow predator hunting at night, and we are still stuck with the 1950's attitude that all hunters are poachers that just haven't been caught, you can't be pleased with them.

Same with centerfires for predators on WMA's. They are more worried that someone MIGHT break the law than allowing the most humane means of harvesting the game.

The WO's would rather be BS'ing with the good ole boys in the coffee shop than being out doing their job, so it's easier to make the game laws as restrictive as possible rather than using the enforcement officers for what they were hired for.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If the 1/8 percent tax was voted on every 2 or 4 years, they'd be out there serving us instead of viewing every gun owner as a criminal. If there was any way to ever get this done I'd spend all my free time working on the cause. It's time for the AGFC to be run by the working man, not the group of commisioners that have no idea what the working man has to go through just to be able to enjoy hunting in this state.

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
I voted NO! because of the complex rules. I have to carry a rule book with me every time I go fishing or hunting.
I also find that some ARGF employees don't know the rules either. With so many rules it is just to easy for the honest sportsmen to make a mistake.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I think Mr. Chitlin has a great idea about voting on the 1/8 percent sales tax every few years. Nothing gets your attention more than the person holding the purse strings.

LC

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
My vote is no. Not from the view of season dates, bag limits, etc...

My no vote comes from the poaching subject. That has to be the #1 issue with most hunters. It's not addressed agressively enough and the punishments are not strict enough. Make examples of those who cheat the system and other hunters. That would provide maximum enjoyment for me.

·
Administrator
87,182 Posts
If I remember right, and my mind is slipping in my old age, but I thought one of the goals of the AGFC in one of their surveys from about 5 years ago was at least a 66% approval rating. It ain't looking too good right now.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
I think you can see by the long term messages left on this board that most are not satisfied with the AGFC, how it manages the resources, and how the hunters are treated.

When you look at other states that allow predator hunting at night, and we are still stuck with the 1950's attitude that all hunters are poachers that just haven't been caught, you can't be pleased with them.

Same with centerfires for predators on WMA's. They are more worried that someone MIGHT break the law than allowing the most humane means of harvesting the game.

The WO's would rather be BS'ing with the good ole boys in the coffee shop than being out doing their job, so it's easier to make the game laws as restrictive as possible rather than using the enforcement officers for what they were hired for.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If the 1/8 percent tax was voted on every 2 or 4 years, they'd be out there serving us instead of viewing every gun owner as a criminal. If there was any way to ever get this done I'd spend all my free time working on the cause. It's time for the AGFC to be run by the working man, not the group of commisioners that have no idea what the working man has to go through just to be able to enjoy hunting in this state.
I'll go along with this post on everything but the part about the WO's. At least those that I'm friends with spend thier time working and writing tickets. I'm sure some need some direction now and then but not all.

The predator hunting part is dead on, we should have some means to hunt them at night even if it's some sort of permit system or having to get in contact with your local WO on your possible locations to hunt each night. At least something!:smack:

·
Administrator
87,182 Posts
I honestly can't group them all together, but I do know that when I was working all over NE Ark, just about any time you went through Lake City, Manila or Marked Tree you'd see the trucks at the coffee shop. I've seen it too many times those 3 places.

·
Administrator
41,122 Posts
Are you satisfied with ArkansasHunting.net or can you come up with at least thing that you either dont like or would change about it?

Heck, Im one of the owners and I could probably come up with at least one thing that I dont like about it or would change which seems to be the only requirement for a no vote.

The point Im trying to make is that overall I think they do an pretty good job. Sure there's room for improvement but I think we've got it pretty good for the most part.

Licenses are reasonably priced. We've got thousands of acres of public land to hunt and fish on, deer are everywhere and seem to be doing great in most areas of the state. Small game populations seem to be pretty good.

Turkeys are down but theyre working on it.

The duck hunting aint what it used to be but I dont think its fair to blame game and fish for something that migrates.

Id love to see some kind of opportunity to hunt predators at night and I dont agree with the Zone 17 thing and Id like to see a game warden a little more often and several other things but overall Id have to say that Im satisfied.

·
Super Moderator
7,070 Posts
I voted no although they do many good things. I think the Game and Fish needs to know there are a few areas a lot of hunters are not pleased with.
Turkey Turkey Turkey for one.

I know enforcement works hard in this area to catch poachers. I feel that the predator issue is a large problem. Is this a regulation problem? I can not say for sure. Many hunters complain, but how many do anything to control predators. On public land I feel it is a large part of the problem. Question is if they losen regulations and our deer start disapearing. What are we going to say?

I would like to see public lands managed for a healthy maximun quanity with out concern for trophy quality. Let the private land owners worry about QDA antler farming.

I would like to see more effort put into buying small tracts of land. In the future more adjoining land may be available.

I know they have to spend required amounts of the 1/8 cent tax in certain areas. The mineral lease revenue should be used to obtain more access through long term land leases or purchase.
Now that I have listed some things I do not like. I should list some of the things thay are doing a good job on.
Youth hunts
Bear season dates
Hunter Education

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
http://www.agfc.com/education-class/programs/conservation-sales-tax.aspx

Conservation Sales Tax
In November 1996, Arkansas voters passed a conservation sales tax, which went into effect July 1, 1997. It designates 1/8th of 1 percent of the state's general sales tax for Arkansas Game and Fish Commission (45 percent), Arkansas State Parks (45 percent, Arkansas Heritage Commission (9 percent) and Keep Arkansas Beautiful Commission (1 percent).

In a statewide survey before the 1996 election, Arkansans said their priorities for the Game and Fish Commission's new projects funded with the tax revenues were (1) more wildlife law enforcement, (2) more wildlife habitat for public use, (3) more education about wildlife and (4) more work with endangered species.

The Game and Fish Commission immediately drafted plans for four nature centers (Pine Bluff, Jonesboro, Fort Smith and Little Rock) in addition to other expanded educational projects to fulfill this part of its conservation sales tax commitment.

·
Administrator
87,182 Posts
I know enforcement works hard in this area to catch poachers. I feel that the predator issue is a large problem. Is this a regulation problem? I can not say for sure. Many hunters complain, but how many do anything to control predators. On public land I feel it is a large part of the problem. Question is if they losen regulations and our deer start disapearing. What are we going to say?
I can't see that as a valid argument. Night time predator hunting has been allowed for years in Texas and Oklahoma, and they aren't short on deer.

The problem with hunting predators on public land is that you are so restricted in the legal firearms that most don't bother with it. I can hunt coyotes with a 300 Win Mag on my property, but drive down the road a few miles to a WMA and the largest rifle I can hunt with is 22 rimfire.

I've paid my fair share of the tax since it went into effect, and haven't reaped a penny's worth of benefit from it. Sure we have a nature center, been there, seen it and they don't have to worry about me blocking access to anyone again. A lot of land could have been purchased for that $5M!!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I voted no, because there are a few things that the G&F could do to make hunting more enjoyable.

1. Make fines high enough that it would discourage poaching (look at Colorado or Alaska for example).

2. Hire more Game Wardens and patrol the woods more often.

3. Stand up for the private land owners and leasers that do not want deer dogs on their property and enforce Code 11:08 about fining dog owners who let their dogs get on property where they are not wanted. Make deer dog hunters keep their dogs on their property or fine them or take away their right to run dogs.

LC
+1:up::banghead::clap::banghead:

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
It's time for the AGFC to be run by the working man, not the group of commisioners that have no idea what the working man has to go through just to be able to enjoy hunting in this state.
These words are the truth,We need working class people on the commission not politics,quit letting them use there positions for there on gain.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
I think they got a tough job, but they make it alot harder on themselves. Complex rules, being reactive instead of proactive on problems, and lack of knowledge about the average sportsman in the state (and the other things mentioned in above posts).

To make things better they could hire more WO's to crack down the poaching issue, form a turkey team similar to the deer management team, and put some consideration into the rules they write regarding deer hunting. Not all of us are out there to kill a big buck everyday. Just manage the herd to be a healthy and quality herd, not some trophy herd and let nature do the rest. Show progress and work on that and then I would change my vote to "yes they do a good job".

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
To make things better they could hire more WO's to crack down the poaching issue.
This may address that statement HBB...:rolleyes:

I found this on the AGFC website a few weeks ago and posted it on another hunting board.....and...now I can't find it again...:down: DUH!!!

(QUOTE)
LITTLE ROCK –
"Listen in on a conversation about deer hunting in Arkansas, especially what is needed to improve it, and chances are about 9 in 10 that someone will comment, “They need more game wardens out there.”

(underline is mine)
(Then ...they continued their take on that statement)...

(QUOTE)
"The deer plan lists four strategies for enforcement."

"One is to “maximize enforcement efforts to focus on the most severe violations by scheduling and prioritizing enforcement patrols during peak sportsman activity periods.”

"A second is to “promote communication between wildlife officers, local sportsmen and hunting clubs and organizations by using community-oriented police techniques and by presenting credible witness programs at deer management workshops.”

"The third is to “ensure that wildlife officers have the training and equipment to address concerns from citizens by maintaining maximum authorized enforcement staffing.”

"And the fourth is to “Maintain penalties that serve as deterrents to violations of deer regulations.” These penalties can include fines, confiscation of equipment including vehicles and suspension or revoking of hunting licenses.

(End of quotes)

I fail to see where the powers that be are paying much attention to what we ask for......MORE enforcement officers as was promised many years ago when they wanted that tax money voted on...

This was the link that this came from...
http://www.agfc.com/news/arkansasoutdoors/arkansasoutdoors-current.aspx#2

1 - 20 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.