AGFC needs to lift ban on motorized duck decoys and regulate overcrowding

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Banded Mallard, Feb 5, 2018.

1. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

AR has the best green timber public land duck hunting in the US. What we have in this state is a diamond in the world of duck hunting. And most duck hunters know it. Like going to South Dakota to Pheasant hunt or Colorado to elk hunt. Unfortunately, hunt quality suffers greatly due to over crowding. G&F is between a rock and a hard spot. One of their tasks is to provide opportunity for as many hunters as they can. But, there comes a point in time when the quality of the hunt is so affected by the quantity of hunters that something should be done to redeem the quality. G&F has tried pretty much everything to maintain some quality while maintaining opportunity for everyone. But until this year, everything they did was an effort to contol hunter actions - not hunter numbers. The restriction on ooser licences seems to not have curtailed numbers. I am not sure if all oosers were kept out of the wma’s if the resident hunters wouldnt make up the difference. Too little ground and too many hunters - and too good of hunting. I know a lot of folks who go to the green timber grounds from my area because the hunting is so much better. A draw would be terrible for the residents who depend on those areas for all their hunting. If a draw were done right - it would be a good deal for someone like me who would just like to go a few times a year. But I would not favor a draw on my behalf at the expense of the locals losing their place to hunt. It is a hard call. I dont think any restrictions on hunting methods is going to reduce the number of hunters - I think that is going to take a restriction on the number of hunters - somehow - and g&f is going to fight doing that to the bitter end.

Ange likes this.
  2. SKEETER

SKEETER Well-Known Member

NE AR
    DD is in my back yard. I can be to the ramp in 20 minutes. I know what the hunting can be like and should be like. What consider to be trash now people from out of state obviously consider great. They do or they would not continue to come. No way on gods green earth would I travel that far and spend my money for such nonsense. They just don’t know any better. They obviously think tree topping duck flying over is great. I just don’t agree. If it takes a draw for me to be able to get 3 quality hunts a yr there let it be. I didn’t even feel safe having my kid out there the last time. The youth hunt has bad not for over crowing but there were just no birds down there. I was down there for 2 days prior looking. They just were not there.

3. arkrem870

arkrem870 Well-Known Member

Conway
    Maybe I’m not remembering correctly, but I don’t remember this constant tree topping that’s going on now. People aren’t even trying to get them down. Tree topping right at daylight when they are coming in on water movement and chatter.

Slash Lareux, orangefeetdown and Ange like this.
  4. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Less chance for someone shooting at a duck a quarter mile away scaring your ducks off if you tree top em.

5. DuckEngr

DuckEngr Well-Known Member

I grew up hunting draw areas because that’s about all we had around. Draws don’t help treetopping unfortunately. If anything it makes it worse. it makes people more desperate to kill because they know they probably won’t get another chance to hunt for a while. I’m afraid the good times are just gone and won’t be back, draw or not. About the only thing a draw and designated area does is cut down on the chance of confrontation with the “this is my hole” guy

6. SKEETER

SKEETER Well-Known Member

NE AR
    Guess I will just take climbing tree stand down there so I can get closer to them.

7. Ange

Ange Well-Known Member

Short term gratification at the expense of everyone else.

8. mk1848

mk1848 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That’s why I just relieve myself on the side of the road.

Allenn, Onetrakd and Ange like this.
  9. Ange

Ange Well-Known Member

I’ve figured out a work around to the rude manners that Plague AR Public Green Timber duck hunting. I don’t ever get big bunches but they work the decoys.

10. Ange

Ange Well-Known Member

And that’s why I sling mud from those 33’s when I careen by. ;)

Onetrakd likes this.
  11. mk1848

The mud just made me look more legit when I was eating Mexican in my muddy hunting costume.

#lookin’hardcore

Allenn, JHS76, Onetrakd and 1 other person like this.
  12. Onetrakd

Onetrakd Well-Known Member

Nwa
    Glad to see your able to adapt to your surroundings....

13. DuckEngr

DuckEngr Well-Known Member

I was wondering why I saw so many tree stands in boats this year. Guess that explains all the shots, hootin and hollerin, and then a 10’ splash as a duck hit the water that I saw this season. Looks like I need to get with the times!

Ange likes this.
  14. JHS76

JHS76 Well-Known Member

Marion
    Unfortunately you are correct, I have over the years hunted Tigrett Bottoms in TN as well as the draw hunts at Shelby Forest. Add in the draw area at Tuscumbia near Corinth, MS.

They sky bust and tree top just as bad as anyone. When I've been able to conversate with the guilty parties they say something along the lines of "have to get yours when you can"

It's just plain sad sometimes.

15. Allenn

Allenn Well-Known Member

I know several groups of young hunters that don’t care if they kill a limit or a few ducks. It’s more of ( I’m a duck hunter) let me post it on fb and Snapchat and instagram is what it’s about these days, killing is just a bonus. I will say we had a pretty good last half of the season on public.

16. JHS76

JHS76 Well-Known Member

Marion
    I was hesitant to post this video but after watching again I thought it would be best way to answer your question. This is probably one of if not the smallest WMA in AR that has public Access. There are times it can be crowded but for the most part when the school aged kids are in school it's usually a low key area.

These dudes drove from SC through the sleet and snow...just to skybust some shoveler...on a 220 acra WMA that's grown up fish ponds.

That answer your question a little better?

17. arkrem870

arkrem870 Well-Known Member

Conway
    Oh yea....... that's about average ^

18. I've read a lot of the comments on this thread, and I must say that many of them are EXACTLY why I quit duck hunting. Hunting in general for me is something I used to do and no I don't miss it much. Sucks? You bet. But life goes on.

19. mk1848

I’m not being a smart ass but that doesn’t really answer the question unless everyone’s expectations were that no one from South Carolina would come to Arkansas to hunt. Full disclosure, I didn’t watch the full video. Were there any periods through the season were there were less non-residents than there would have been the year before? Did it seem like the same number came to Arkansas but just all came at once when conditions were best?

20. Buckhunter99

Buckhunter99 Well-Known Member

Indiana
    I don't agree with sky busting what so ever. I would rather have them floating about 3-4 feet off the water when I take the shot (partly because I know I'm not the best wing shooter). When you look at allot of videos it seems like people are skybusting however they are not actually doing that. I am by no way saying these guys were not sky busting I am just saying that when people take video they need to do something to ensure the video is correct. I have a GoPro that I use to video and when I first got it I could take a 20 yard shot and it appeared to be 70 yards. I had to call GoPro and they told me how to change the settings to make it look normal.
    I feel that adults need to teach kids not to skybust and I am sure that many do teach their kids this but we all know that when they get with their friends and get to hunt alone allot of the things we taught them unfortunately get thrown out the window even if they know its not the best thing to be doing. I feel for your state because they do have one of the best duck resources around and unfortunately everyone knows it and takes advantage of it.

JHS76 likes this.