Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
137 Posts
What will the AGFC do with the money? I assume that they will buy more trucks, 4 wheelers and cars for office workers. I doubt any monies will make it to the ground to buy more habitat or even improve what they have.

My wish list would be:

Levee and pump work on Dagmar WMA.

Work with Bayou Meto Irrigation district to improve water control and drainage on BM WMA. Maybe this would save the trees and guarantee water for December.

Pay a competetive salary for a wildlife conservation officers. Most of the ones we have now are great and go an excellent job. They just need to get the green for their efforts.

· Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn
3,647 Posts
For $29.5 million dollars up-front, plus 20% royalties for any gas pumped, you would think license costs should go down and/or there should be some incredible improvements to existing G&F lands (and maybe the purchase of more land).

But will we see anything from this? My guess is no. I strongly suspect that the AGFC will squander the money and still be asking for higher license fees in a few years. They will still expect private groups to volunteer/donate labor and materials for habitat improvement, and we as sportsmen will still be nothing more than an income source to feed the government bureaucracy known as the AGFC through license fees, and prospective fines (after all, everyone in the woods/on the lake are considered violators until shown otherwise...).

· Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
But will we see anything from this? My guess is no. I strongly suspect that the AGFC will squander the money and still be asking for higher license fees in a few years. They will still expect private groups to volunteer/donate labor and materials for habitat improvement, and we as sportsmen will still be nothing more than an income source to feed the government bureaucracy known as the AGFC through license fees, and prospective fines (after all, everyone in the woods/on the lake are considered violators until shown otherwise...).

Dang Battman...I wish/hope you were/are wrong.:smack:

· Registered
3,408 Posts
But will we see anything from this?
More jobs, a stronger economy, and another source of natural gas. Good enough for me.

I don't care if they cut every tree down and drill the first well through the head of a 250 class Boone & Crockett buck or an Ivory Billed bird or an old Indian graveyard or through my old dead grandma's casket... Natural Gas and all other energy resources are infinately more important to each & every person now and especially in the very near future than a place to hunt.

I'm willing to make that sacrifice... Are you? Or are ya just another Nancy Pelosi...

11,017 Posts
My name is not Nancy or Jerry for that matter but I think, and of course this is my own personal opinion, that drilling isn't a problem anywhere if done responsibly. The problem we are facing now is a lack of responsiblility on the American peoples part, we are, for lack of a better word.... gas w:censored:s. All we do is use more and more fossil fuels, drive SUV's and big trucks that are not and have never been fuel efficient. Our governement is not concerned with alternate fuels that are cost effective because frankly we have not found our price limit. Studies were done back in the late 90's that stated $4 per gallon would be the breaking point. That was almost 10 years ago and they have done nothing to find ways to cut cost because we will pay and still use fossil fuels when there are other fuel sources we could be using. Ethonal was supposed to be the saviour and it cost' more to make it and it is less efficient. It also drives the price of food crops up. I do not believe in global warming being the demise of mankind nor do I think drilling here or in the Artic is bad. What I do think is that whatever resourses we have need to be used wisely grasshopper and we continue our search for more effective ways to fuel our country.

As far as the money goes I still think Battman hit it on the head.

· Registered
6,300 Posts
Tony, I say they take they money and buy the "prairie" land that Green Bay has created in Winona.

All kidding aside, I'd love to see more land purchases, maybe take some land that is owned by the timber companies and create more public areas.

11,017 Posts
The area below Flatside towars Thornburg used to have some really great woods, now it is a barren dust bowl. A couple of years it should be over run with deer but for now it is nothing but hot dry dirt.

· Registered
5,763 Posts
All kidding aside, I'd love to see more land purchases, maybe take some land that is owned by the timber companies and create more public areas.
They need to fix and take better care of what they currently have before buying up a bunch more and turning it into a cluster. Now if they want to to buy conservation easements and continue to allow deer clubs to continue to manage the deer herd, i could agree with that

· Registered
4,034 Posts
I think it's great that they are going to open OUR land up to oil and gas exploration. I think that we should hold their feet to the fire over what they do with the money. I agree we should expect some great improvements in present G&F areas and new land acquisition as well. I also agree with the Battman that we likely won't see either.

hd

11,017 Posts
Looks like the dillweeds have their grubby hands out to get some of the money as well. Beebe and Faris say it is their (AGFC) obligation to share that money to cover inspections not only on AGFC land but statewide, there is also mention of using the money for other non wildlife related cost. There was also mention of using some money to cap abandoned wells, wells that are not on AGFC land and the owners/drillers left after they took their money out of the ground. Just like hitting the lottery, every jackass around becomes your friend or just wants a handout. Beebe is already making threats as is Faris. What a bunch of nothings. After spending $70,000 on a chandelier for the mansion what does Beebe want now?

I do agree their should be accountability for the money and where it is spent but it should stay in the relam of improving lands. After all that is where the money came from.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.