Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having a terrible turkey season thus far, I decided I would go try some Cherokee leased land up north of Pangburn. I used to hunt up there alot and know some pretty good places. A month or so ago, I drove up that way and saw signs for Jim Kress WMA. Didn't think too much about it then and I didn't cruise down the couple of miles to the start of Cherokee land. Anyway, the other night,my bro in law and myself decided it was worth a shot. We went to the local license retailer to buy our leased land permits. I told the lady at the counter I wanted a "leased land permit". She asked me if I wanted Cherokee or Jim Kress. I wasn't quite sure what she was talking about...so I asked for a map of each.( AGFC website says maps of the areas are available at license dealers) She only had a map of Cherokee. I looked at it and found my old stomping grounds. We went ahead and bought the 20 dollar permits and headed up there the next morning. We got up there to hunt and Jim Kress signs were everywhere.:head: We ended up going back to town and bought another 20 dollar permit.(JKress) :banghead: I went to another license dealer the next day and they didn't have maps of Cherokee or Jim Kress. I just checked the Cherokee map the gal gave me and the revision date on it is 5/04. This is just plain stupid. I still don't know which permit I have to have. If somebody down in LR can give me an answer, they are gonna have to buy the other back from me. :mad: Sorry for the long rant.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I deer hunt on cherokee at pleasant plains. I used to anyway.I took a week of vacation and bought my permit. Dawson geophysical had people there, testing for natural gas or whatever. They had a helicopter flying around dropping bags of cable all over the place. One day they came down to tree top level and dropped a bag 50 yards from my stand while I was sitting in it. Hunting on public land is hard enough without them spooking all the deer. Also the people on the ground had to tromp through the woods leaving there scent all over everything and driving there eqiupment up and down the roads all day. Also they clearcut almost all the hardwoods last year, so there are not many good spots to hunt anymore. Needless to say I won't be hunting there anymore. I would rather pay for a non resident liscense in another state than to give them anymore of my money. They won't care though, since they are making millions off of the gas company. I just wish I hadn't wasted a week of vacation.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Called and asked about these problems and they blame the license locations for not having them. I spoke with the "Communications" department, and they are sending me one for Cherokee, I doubt it will be updated though. If I get a good one, I can scan it in send it to you if you need it. :thumb:

I don't see why it would be a problem to post these maps on the website? You still have to have the permit to hunt there.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
You have to have a Jim Kress and Cherokee Leased land permit to hunt on them. I personaly don't believe they should charge for 2 different permits when the same place owns both of them. I think it is just another way for them to get more money from us. I have hunted on both since i was 15 years old and all they care about is money. Heck now we can only take 2 deer off the place a year and if you only gun hunt "which I don't" you can only take one. I haven't seen but 1 deer there all year because of the people flying those dang helicopters all over the place and the morons that work for that company tromping trough the woods and riding their atvs all over. I wish I could just get my 20 bucks back!!!:mad:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.