Age don't matter if you got good nutrition and genes

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by buckhorn, Dec 20, 2010.

1. buckhorn

buckhorn Well-Known Member

http://www.ms-sportsman.com/details.php?id=802

I guess if the age of this buck is accurate it goes to show that as long as you have the nutrition and genes you don't have to have the age to have the headgear.

Probably the exception rather than the rule. Very nice deer though.

2. pruitt76

pruitt76 Well-Known Member

That's a great buck.

3. bowhunter3

bowhunter3 Well-Known Member

Man that's a hoss. Thanks for sharing. I'm showing all my Mississippi buddy's I work with.

4. born2hunt

born2hunt Well-Known Member

The exception for sure. But at 3.5 (I question the validity of this estimation) he's older than most of the bucks I encounter here in AR.

5. JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker Well-Known Member

If that deer's 3.5 years old that's crazy. I'd say a freak of nature, but with that rack, he's a freak of nature at any age. :eek:

6. Nuge Fan

Nuge Fan Well-Known Member

that club has tough age restrictions! 5.5? wow

7. 7 point

7 point Well-Known Member

I'd let him walk. Club rules is club rules:biggrin:

8. 16section mafia

16section mafia Well-Known Member

id gave him 1 more yr anyways!!:whistle:

9. mossyhorn

mossyhorn Well-Known Member

Just like that Roadkill buck i put up. 3.5 years old with 164 inches of headgear. Good food and good genes can out produce age........SOMETIMES!!!

10. ar_ladyhunter

ar_ladyhunter Well-Known Member

Nice deer, but 5.5? Would need to pressure cook him....:confused:

11. dash4cash

dash4cash Well-Known Member

That 164 inch roadkill is a great buck for 3.5 years old, imagine him at 5.5 years old:up: Good food and genes with age will out produce just good food and genes all the time.:thumb:

Carl

12. Dixie_Rebel_Z71

Dixie_Rebel_Z71 Well-Known Member

13. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

I wonder what he looked like as a 1.5 year old? I'm betting two years made a difference. :wink:

:biggrin:

But he is definitely a hoss. :up:

14. Tink

Tink Platinum Member<br>2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest Te

3.5 year old killed 1999 at White Rock scored 166 1/8 BC. Have paper work from BC aged by Game an Fish. Age doesn't have nothing to do with it an most deer not all start going down hill after 4.5 not much.
    [​IMG]

15. That's a heck of a body for a 3 1/2 yo but I guess it's possible. It's the exception not the rule but certainly not rare. I'm pretty sure Milo Hanson's WR was 3 1/2 as well. Age is certainly not required to grow a big buck, but almost every individual buck will be better if he gets some age on him.

Bell (that's a heck of a buck by the way) what do you base your going down hill after age 4 1/2? I'm no expert but I've had the opportunity to see several captive bucks and none of them peaked till age 7 or 8. After that they got more non-typical with shorter tines and more mass. It's interesting what can happen and how variable antler growth can be. May be why we're so fascinated with it.

16. odocoi

odocoi Well-Known Member

My thought also. A deer doesn't mature body wise until 3.5-4.5 so 4.5+ will be the best years for antler dev. up to a point.

I'd like to know if they sent the jawbone for cementum annuli or if someone used the tooth wear method.

17. Tink

I said most deer will not all deer will an I base my info from field biologist. So let me explain an what I have learn. You take buck A: normal public land buck an alot of deer population he can't get all the nutriens an protien he needs to keep those horns growing as he mature. Some biologist even had say at the age 3.5 an 4.5 they have meet there peak. Then you have some say no way just like me an you. So here is buck B: this is a normal public land buck but with a well balance herd the buck can reach an still add more to antler growth an hit there peak 4.5 5.5. I am no expert still in school an just what I learn an are just bases of are studies.

18. Tink

GF did both on mine sent jaw bone after tooth wear method. The tooth wer method said 4.5-5.5. After 4 months an certified threw BC we had age an final score on paper work I got from them.

19. odocoi

odocoi Well-Known Member

you need to invite the above mentioned biologists back to school for a little more training. They've missed something somewhere if they believe a buck reaches his potential, in any habitat, between 3.5 and 4.5 years of age.