Age and score

Discussion in 'Trail Cams and Photography' started by SA Doc, Nov 28, 2012.

1. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    Hi guys. This is a buck I saw last weekend. Was not sure he was old enough under our lease rules so held off for now. Curious to know what you guys get for age and score. Is on a low fence, large lease in south Texas.

Attached Files:

2. DODGEMAN

DODGEMAN Well-Known Member

4 1/2 probably in the 180

A dang nice one.

3. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    I think 4 1/2 as well, but nowhere close to 180. I'm thinking more like low 150s. Interested to hear other opinions.

4. What do ya'lls deer run on the hoof weight wise?

I agree on the 4 years and 150+ class gross as estimates from that pic..........

5. DODGEMAN

DODGEMAN Well-Known Member

Sorry Doc, I didn't notice it was you that posted this and it's a south Texas deer, right, so he will be smaller than our Delta deer, right.

I still think the will go way over 150, he has what 8-10 inches of abnormal points, and if he's 19 inches wide, I think he will be on up there.

I just noticed that missing brow tine isn't going to help.

6. Adog

Adog Well-Known Member

Maybe a 3 1/2, butt and shoulders kinda flat.
    Not good at guessing horns, but that's a nice one.

7. odocoi

odocoi Well-Known Member

5.5+ and 150 something is my guess.

8. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    We've only shot a few bucks so far this year, but live weights have run 170-210 so far. My 2 heaviest over last 10 years have field dressed 179 and right at 200. I suspect our average weight is probably higher than most of Arkansas . Much bigger than central Texas deer.

9. Six year old deer right?

If that deer goes 160-170lbs 150 plus would be a good gross guess IMO.

His tarsal glands appear to have no stain..... that puts him middle age 3-4 IMO.

10. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    Yes, most bucks we shoot are 6-7 years old. We will shoot younger bucks if at least 3 years and under 8 points.

11. So how do you tell a 5 year old deer from a 6 year old deer?

12. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    Its tough sometimes. I passed on a buck 3 years ago at 5-10 yards twice because I thought he was only 5 1/2. Looked at pics and decided he was older, but didn't see him again. . The next year I had already filled my 1 "trophy tag" and spotted him chasing a doe on a gas pipeline. Went back with a buddy who is on the lease and he shot him. Buck was 7 1/2 yo by teeth and scored 168. I think when I saw him he scored almost exactly the same. Its not a perfect science. Here's pics when I passed on him. I've passed on a few over the years because I felt they were too young then kicked myself later.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. rdug

rdug Well-Known Member

I want to join your lease lol

14. The second deer you posted looks older than the first..... but he is fairly rangy for a well fed mature deer.

15. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    We've been in a drought for the last 6-7 years. This year range conditions are better than I've seen an a long time. Body conditions will vary a lot depending on rainfall. We have some protein feeders out, but they mostly depend on native brush and mesquite beans. Some of the native brush is actually pretty high in protein. They even feed on the cactus- its common to find cactus spines in their tongues. I'd love to see what kind of deer we would have if we had our age structure but had nutrition/crops like east Arkansas.

16. What part of south Texas u hunt? I'm working south of San Anton and have cn some pretty good deer running open range!! Jw!!

17. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    We're free range. About 30 miles from Laredo in Webb county.

18. mikebri

mikebri Well-Known Member

Great deer, only 3.5 or 4.5 yrs