Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Due to my work schedule, working until midnight or later, getting up hours before the sun to hunt is no feasible for me. I did a few duck hunts last year that had me hiking through waist deep water at 0500 on about 3 hours of sleep. Not fun.

I really want to get I to deer hunting this year, and have all the gear, but I don't want to come through the woods mid day and blow people's hunts.

I know I've read a lot of people head down from their stand for lunch then go back and sit until dark, so what's the best time to begin an afternoon hunt that won't be too intrusive to other hunters?

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
When I hunt public land I usually come out at 11 and go back around 2. I wouldnt worry about it as long as you arent going in after 230 or so and you are quiete and easy on the way in and out which should be what you do anyway.
The biggest thing that ticks me off is when somebody parks near my rig slamming doors and stomping through the woods scouting while Im in a stand trying to hunt the area. I know its public and free range to all but if a guy is parked close to a spot I hunt I go to a different spot. About all you can do is look for stands before setting up, stay away from other vehicles, common sense stuff to me. Sometimes I get dropped off by a buddy and in those cases if somebody comes in on me I understand. Ive had both experiences, the guy sees you waves, turns and sneaks back out the way he came or in winona a couple of times Ive had the guy waves then lights a cigarette and puts up a 6ft ladder stand then sits down.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I was planning on getting in by noon. That gives me time to actually get some sleep, get up have some coffee get my things ready and drive to my spot.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I plan on staying all day. It's just too tough to force myself out of bed at say 4am when I don't get to bed until 1am or later.

That's why I figure, sleep in, get to the woods by noon and still have at least 5-6 hours to hunt depending on the time of year.

·
Super Moderator
9,816 Posts
Do it whenever you want. Like already said, most people take 11-2 off. So you can go in then, or go in later. I just wouldn't be walking in there close to dark because that's primetime. :biggrin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.