Arkansas Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised back just over a year ago after my father in law passed away he had 10 boxes of those in .30-06. I’ve not seen any on a shelf in probably 18 months.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Y’all do realize the bullets are just a Nosler BT with a coating on them to look special for Winchester?
Don't forget about that special colored plastic tip. Silverish. I'm not sure what that coating actually does, but for sure it makes them cost about $10 more than the regular Nosler Ballistic Tips.

·
Registered
28,688 Posts
I hope they do great for you. That's all I shot in .270 for years. But......two things happened. One, I kept either dropping them DRT, OR having to track ever decreasing blood trails and finding nothing. Turns out, that is pretty frangible ammo. IF it hits a bone, then KABAM, it blows up and leaves a big exit hole and kills 'em dead.

BUT, and it took me a while to find this, if you miss bone, the dang things are like a needle...they pass through without expansion.

Four other guys in camp shot the same bullet. We all came to the same conclusion. THEN we found a bunch with visible burrs on the bullet itself. Lots of them. So we all had to go to something else.

It took me a while to find a bullet with good penetration AND expansion. I found some Hornady Interlock (bonded bullet) with SPF ammo some years back. Then they became in short supply and I bought.........um....."enough" to last my lifetime and those that come after me. It is the Nirvhana of cartridges.

Reactions: Rich1

·
Registered
412 Posts
I hope they do great for you. That's all I shot in .270 for years. But......two things happened. One, I kept either dropping them DRT, OR having to track ever decreasing blood trails and finding nothing. Turns out, that is pretty frangible ammo. IF it hits a bone, then KABAM, it blows up and leaves a big exit hole and kills 'em dead.

BUT, and it took me a while to find this, if you miss bone, the dang things are like a needle...they pass through without expansion.

Four other guys in camp shot the same bullet. We all came to the same conclusion. THEN we found a bunch with visible burrs on the bullet itself. Lots of them. So we all had to go to something else.

It took me a while to find a bullet with good penetration AND expansion. I found some Hornady Interlock (bonded bullet) with SPF ammo some years back. Then they became in short supply and I bought.........um....."enough" to last my lifetime and those that come after me. It is the Nirvhana of cartridges.
I have noticed the burrs on the Winchester bullets also. Pull the bullets (as I have) and their seating process has pealed the coating off the bullet substantially. I can only imagine what they look like after going through the barrel. But they do well on critters most of the time. I had a box in 30 caliber I got with a rifle I bought, 180 grain, and I loaded them in some Winchester cases I had prepped for 30-06. Killed two deer very dead this year. Nosler BT bullets initially had a well-deserved reputation for blowing up, but industry articles suggested they thickened the jacket to prevent it, which unfortunately, makes it possible for them to blow through an animal with little expansion, just like the partitions do. I don't know if the coating on the winchester bullets makes that more likely to happen or not, but I've heard about long chases and little blood from several people myself.

The Hornady interlock is a lead tip bullet, but not a bonded bullet. The interbond is their "bonded" bullet, and it has the traditional hornady red plastic tip. It is indeed one of the best bullets out there, and has the price tag to go with it. But I absolutely LOVE the interlock. The lock ring usually prevents core separation (not always, but usually), they are inexpensive, deadly, and very accurate.

·
Registered
28,688 Posts
Very good. You are right.......I have the Interbond. But they come with SPF ammo, which Hornady never admitted what that was.......I assumed (?) it was a 2 stage powder. But they quit that too, no idea why.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Well, like everything else, superformance ammo is hard to come by, I saw a dozen or so boxes of 7mm Rem Mag at Bass Pro a couple of days ago. Hodgdon "teamed" with them (and whoever actually makes the powder, Hodgdon doesn't) to market a powder called, "superformance." It has limited applications, but it works well on what it works with. 6.5 CM loves it. Interestingly, so does 30-06. I came by a box of that ammo that came with a 7mm-08 I bought. It didn't shoot it worth a flip, but did great with some handloads. If your rifle likes it, its some of the best out there.

·
Registered
7,929 Posts
if you miss bone, the dang things are like a needle...they pass through without expansion.
That's weird, because I've had the opposite experience. I've never had one to not expand, usually pretty violently, regardless of hitting bone. Honestly, I'd rather use a different load in my .280 because the BST's damage so much meat that I've started limiting myself to head/neck shots or center chest if they're facing right at me. But the BST's are so ridiculously accurate out of my rifle compared to every other load I've tried, that I just keep using them.

·
Registered
412 Posts
That's weird, because I've had the opposite experience. I've never had one to not expand, usually pretty violently, regardless of hitting bone. Honestly, I'd rather use a different load in my .280 because the BST's damage so much meat that I've started limiting myself to head/neck shots or center chest if they're facing right at me. But the BST's are so ridiculously accurate out of my rifle compared to every other load I've tried, that I just keep using them.
I hate to say it really, but the 270 caliber is one of their most inconsistent performers, especially in the 130 grain version. I have the exact same experience you describe in 7mm/280, the 7mm 140 grain BT tears up so much meat it is just incredible, even in the 7mm08 version. But they are almost always DRT. It is weird because the 270 is .277 and the 7mm is .284. Just a hair difference....

I went to the 150 grain Balistic Tip in my 270 and have had excellent results and no bloodless tracking jobs.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I shot them for years. Killed lots of deer with them. Same results as Buckrub described. I handload for all my centerfires. Switched to Nosler Accubonds with excellent results. Have only recovered 2 out of probably 20? One was a buck shot at 517 yards with one of my 257 Weatherbys. Other was a buck my son killed this year facing head on. It was with my300 wm.

·
Registered
28,688 Posts
I shot them for years. Killed lots of deer with them. Same results as Buckrub described. I handload for all my centerfires. Switched to Nosler Accubonds with excellent results. Have only recovered 2 out of probably 20? One was a buck shot at 517 yards with one of my 257 Weatherbys. Other was a buck my son killed this year facing head on. It was with my300 wm.
I shoot Nosler Accubonds in Delilah (my .257 Wby Mag). But Sweetness (my Tikka .270) gets the Hornady Interbonds. Both do every single thing a cartridge is supposed to do in those guns.

Reactions: Rich1

·
Registered
14,379 Posts
I’ve probably killed 20 deer with the Win silvertips (warewolf bullets) and 10 or so with handloaded Nolser BT both in 140 gr 7mm-08. I honestly couldn’t see any difference in accuracy or performance. I never lost any as 90 percent were DRT or fell in sight. The 10 percent that went 50-75 yards never left very good blood trails is the only reason I stopped using them. Even the high shoulder shot DRT deer would have a .284 sized hole on entrance and matching sized hole on the exit with shrapnel and explosive would channels internally two grown men almost couldn’t shake hands across.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts