Advice from experienced goose hunters

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by backstraps, Dec 24, 2012.

1. backstraps

backstraps Well-Known Member

I have access to a decent amount of fields that hold geese. I'm going to get some decoys but I'm wanting to get away with the cheapest spread. I doubt ill get serious into it so I don't want to invest much.

So will cheap economy rags work? What is the smallest amount I can get away with?

Any other advice is welcome!

2. Ollie

Ollie Member

Would they by any chance be close to NW Arkansas? I have been trying to find some goose hunting possibilities for a few years. Not having much luck.

3. ccat

ccat Active Member

all you can put out 500 min.

4. webbtoes

webbtoes Well-Known Member

paper plates and news paper...or it use to work. :up:

5. VALES

VALES Well-Known Member

I have hunted over lots of decoys. What i learned was that snow geese are pretty smart birds. Texas rags are o.k. to mix in as fillers but the shells work a lot better and if you can afford a few full bodies to mix in even better. My best advice is to get 6-10 buddies to buy a couple dozen or more decoys apiece. That will help offset the cost. You can mix duck decoys like mallards, pintail, and widgeon in also..we have killed lots of ducks in dry wheat or cornfields. Goose hunting is fun but expensive and very hard work.

6. nwamallardman

nwamallardman Well-Known Member

I hunt canadians in NWA and have killed several with a dozen deeks or less. your set up is more important than the deeks are. Dont set up close to a wood line. You should be ok.

7. CrappieMaster220

CrappieMaster220 Well-Known Member

Hunt specks, a dozen or two dekes will work and they respond to a call much better... And from what I hear they taste better too.

8. mach316

mach316 Well-Known Member

This. Also, invest in a good call. The cheap ones will work, but seem to be harder to blow..

9. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Well-Known Member

Or u could do it the way we did. Sneak down a ditch and jump shoot em. After u get some shot prop up the dead as decoys. Real deeks in a field u know they like. It works but not calling em in.

10. backstraps

I've got speck decoys and kill quite a few. Its lots of fun.

They are easy to work.

11. quack-n-stack

quack-n-stack Well-Known Member

I'll check but I believe killing Canadians is as illegal as killing Mexicans, Chinese, or Japanese.

Don't believe OP was referencing speck hunting, but it he were, I agree calling and concealment trumpts decoy spread. Id rather have six or less very nice speck decoys than 100 mediocre.

As to snows go big or stay home. 500 is minimum. I have 14dz fullbody mallards, 9 doz fullbody specks, 6 doz fullbody honkers, 4 doz fullbody lessers, and 42 doz fullbody snows and blues. From Canada to Arkansas I have put out all and parts, and every combination in between. They are expensive, and time consuming. What I have found is 800-1200 silosocks work as well, are cheaper, and less time consuming. I also runs 24 flyers, and 4 vortex

12. backstraps

I am more concerned about the work at this point than the cost. 500-1000 decoys is a serious undertaking. I'm not sure I'm willing to spend the time.