Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey this spring will be my first time to turkey hunt. what are some good tips on calling in or finding some toms? i will mostly be using my compound or crossbow, unless I get that permit to use gun in camp robinson. are those box calls made of wood good? or mouth call?

· Registered
5,716 Posts
I would say spend as much time as you can learning the area you intend to hunt. Now is as good a time as any. The hot spots don't come easily, especially these days so it may take effort to find them. In my opinion box calls are the best call for a beginner and the easiest to learn on. Keep it simple. Learn the basic yelp and cluck, then continue to learn from there....purrs, etc. I would probably forgo cutting and other difficult calls until later and after you have learned the basics. Keep in mind it only takes a single cluck to sometimes call in a gobbler. Personally, I would begin practicing the mouth call, but leave it in your pocket for later down the road. Don't overcall and be patient. Good luck.

· Member Forum Sponsor 2011 Turkey Contest Winner
10,970 Posts
Buy ur call now and start practicing...don't wait until 2nd week of April to go buy it. Turkeys can see twice as good as you think they can...if blind calling sit extremely still...if calling to an answering bird sit more than extremely still when he gets close enough u can hear the chuckle in his gobble. If you hear him spitting and drumming but you can't see him...he is close. If you are using a bow/crossbow he'll have to be even closer so I can't stress enough the importance of sitting still. Gloves and head-net are a must. If at first you don't succeed...try again. Every turkey is a learning experience. Have fun...that's what its all about.

· Registered
14,588 Posts
Tip #2 Start your turkey hunting career in Tx. or Ok. You stand a good chance of getting burned out hunting in Ar. these days. Especially with a bow.
Honestly, I feel bad for a guy trying to get into turkey hunting around here right now. I started on my own in 2000. Here in NW AR, I could go out any morning, and it was a given that I was going to work a bird. Hell, I could work one, booger him, and go work another. It would take a decade now to get the experience I got in that single year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.