Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Moderator<br>Help Forum<br>
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my BIL turned the draw weight down for me when he gave me the bow. Problem is, he can't remember how many turns he made on it. It is a 70lb. max draw bow. If I crank it all the way up just to make sure what weight I am at, how many pounds does each turn drop the weight when lowering it?

·
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And another thing... I just tried to crank it all the way to the max of 70lb. I was told that I would "just know" when it was maxed out. But, even when the screw got fairly hard to turn I still could have forced it on down. Will the turns come to a complete stop or is there some play in there? I just don't want to damage the limbs at all.

When I thought I had it maxed out it looked like one of the limbs was tighter than the other just from the look of the distance between the limb and the frame. I'm thinking very seriously about taking it to the shop tomorrow and letting them check it out for me.

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
If you want to find out the weight, the simpliest way is just take it to a bow shop and let them put it on a scale.

When adjusting your limbs it is important to make the same amount of turns to each limb.

When it's maxed out it will not turn anymore, forcing it will do nothing, but strip your bolts. With that said I always set my bow about 1 full turn less than tight.

Extra poundage is not always a good thing. Make sure you are completly comfortable with the poundage you choose. You should literally be able to hold your bow back for 2 min and then still make the shot.

·
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't plan on maxing it out. I just wanted to put both limbs to the max so I knew that once I dialed it down they would both be even. I'm afraid that somewhere along the line one limb got adjusted and not the other.

As far as stripping the bolts... That is the problem. I'm not sure at what point it is dialed as far as it will go. When I thought it was maxed I tried to turn it just a bit more and it did turn but I was afraid of stripping it out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Use your T-Square and measure the distance of both limbs to the string. Measure from the same spot on both limbs. This also is called tillering.

Then adjust until they measure the same.

·
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up taking the bow to the shop. They looked it over, made the tiller adjustments, fixed a few little odds and ends and it was good to go. I haven't shot it since I brought it back home but i'm gonna try and put a few through it this evening.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.