Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the story I found a fresh track today in a draw and new there was a gobbler close, so I made a loop to where I figured he was traveling and set up and made a few calls. All the sudden one gobbled about 100 yards out. Before I knew it 3 longbeards were right on top of me. The first 2 got bye, but the 3rd one wasn't as lucky. I think I may even mount this one. His spurs are 1 1/2 and 1 3/8, with an 11 in beard. He only weighed 16.6 pounds I guess he's been busy.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Nice bird ! Congrats ! I'd like to hear the story ..... Was it morning or afternoon ? The birds I been on has been so henned up they'll just gobble at ya then keep right on going. Watching one through the binos, had five hens with him. He threw his head up couple times at my call then the hens took him right on away. Same way with two more. They'd gobble then keep right on going....

·
Premium Member<br>2006 Turkey Team Contest Winner<
7,279 Posts
TH how was your area of the Ouahitas this year?
We killed 4 big birds. It was the worst gobblin season ever. There were more turkeys over there when you could kill only one turkey than now. I'm not sure what happen to all the birds. Very few hunter this year. Seen a few jakes and hens. I was lucky to see one big bird a day. We really didn't need to kill the 4 big birds. We went to different areas of the state with more turkeys to tag out.

What about you?

·
Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,049 Posts
I got a Jake with a 3.5 in beard- wife and I passed on another jake about same size, we hunted hard the first 4 days and never heard a gobble, I took a mirriam in south dakota a few days ago with a 6in beard but we chased gobblers every day:thumb: We had 3 different opportunities on a long beard in the Black Hills of SD and I shouldve let her take one with her 243 but we kept thinking they would work in to us and they didnt! Man them are the gobblingest birds I ever seen, the last mrning we hunted we had one gobble at least 100 times he had to be wore out but we ran out of time on him and had to leave him !:smack: We are already saving our nickles for next year- I learned alot about them western birds and next year we wont be in the mountains without a rifle!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.