acorns

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by doe deflator, Dec 26, 2010.

1. doe deflator

doe deflator Active Member

Can anybody tell me how long fallen acorns remain desirable for the deer. Where i hunt there is lots and lots of acorns still on the ground. just wondering.

2. CrabClaw

CrabClaw Well-Known Member

They will keep plenty long as long as the weather stays dry-avoiding rot is the key.

3. pick one up and break it open. If it smells like death then it is bad and your wasting your time. If it don't then they will still come in and eat them.

4. Tink

Tink Platinum Member<br>2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest Te

X2 that's what I been told.

5. RAZORBACKER3

RAZORBACKER3 Well-Known Member

The "meat" of the acorn should not be black or a dark color. Southern red, cherrybark, willow , water and other small red oaks should be orange. Pin, shumard ,nuttall, northern red, and other red oaks will be various shades of light yellow-white.
    White oak species white to cream color. The red oaks usually last better than the white oaks.

6. ksf04001

ksf04001 Well-Known Member

I still have a lot on the ground too, and everyone i have cracked open is still good. Is it normal for them to still be good this time of the year?

7. RAZORBACKER3

a lot of the red oaks will last until march. Long, hard freezes will ruin them quickly. It takes a prolonged period under freezing to kill them.Ones that don't get eaten or frozen or rot, will sprout and might become a tree.

8. Acorn

Acorn Well-Known Member

That boy know his nuts! They have to last until at least spring or we wouldnt' have any forests. Certian acorns will can last for up to several years under the right moisture (not submerged and not dried and not completely frozen for too long). I actually grow hardwoods and I put them in a refriderator at 40 degrees from November until April and I get excellent germination. Deer and tree rats still eat them in April and May if I'd let them.

9. ksf04001

ksf04001 Well-Known Member

I guess i didnt think about them replanting themselves. :smack: It just seems that around this time of year the deer start hitting our fields and corn feeders more because acorns are scarce and that just insnt happening this year.

10. Acorn

Acorn Well-Known Member

I think if deer have the choice between beans left in the field or easy green graze and acorns they have to search for, they will take beans or easy greens. When the acorns first fall, they are a new flavor and deer key on them, but IF (big if around here) other food is available, then they will take the flavor they prefer or what's easier. In most of AR, there are not many other options than find every acorn they can find.

Where I hunt, there were hardly any acorns this year b/c of the summer drought. The deer have pounded the corn all year, just b/c there are not many other options.

11. RAZORBACKER3

Because of the summer drought, we were expecting a poor acorn crop statewide. I am really suprised that there were an abundance of acorns in most areas and little to none in some areas. Most species did well also.
    I purchase about 70,000 pounds a year and had no trouble getting most species. Even my acorn pickers were suprised how good the crop turned out.
    I have a sawtooth orchard and I do believe that the crop this year was better than I have ever seen in over 20 years.

12. Acorn

Acorn Well-Known Member

I've been curious about sawtooth's and whether or not wildlife like them as much as other species like white or willow? Do you notice any difference with deer?

Also, I have to ask; why do you buy so many? Are you a grower?

13. RAZORBACKER3

I have found that deer like a freshly fallen acorn, reguardless of species, better than one that has been on the ground for awhile.
    I have 2 large sawtooth in my front yard that produce 500-1000 lbs a year on average. I pick those up and put them out every few days (around 50 lbs per spot) and see them eaten in 2-3 days. Sometimes they don't last that long. I have a good many trail pictures from this year. I don't feed corn or bran. I have in the past but see how they prefer tha acorns over the corn and bran.
    Check your pm's Acorn. I answered your other questions there.

14. doe deflator

doe deflator Active Member

thanks for all the info maybe i can still put something together to save my hunting season.

15. Rico

Rico Well-Known Member

Hey Razorbacker3, I'd like some more info on sawtooth acorns myself. Please send PM.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010