Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,499 Posts
My guess is that they put on a lot of acorns when we were getting good rain and when it turned off hot and dry the trees have to cut their losses and drop some of them due to the stress.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Trees are throwing acorns heavy in SW Arkansas. I have had .2 of an inch(yesterday) of rain since the middle of June. I found one striped oak that was dropping acorns that were filled out pretty good and deer were eating them. Most of the acorns falling have not developed enough to be eaten. Trees are loaded but if we don't get rain most of the acorns will fail to develop I'm afraid.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Correction on Pin Oak trees dropping acorns, They are willow oaks, I was raised calling them Pin Oaks. I was 30 years old before I found out they were really Willow Oaks and Not Pin Oaks. But the acorns are good.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I hope that there are no acorns. I hate mast years like last year. It makes hunting tough where I hunt, everything we have is hardwoods. Heavy mast years we see and kill fewer deer.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.