Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a few different loads worked up for the 30.06 and finally got the opportunity to burn them today. 6 different loads of 5 rounds each might have been a bit much for the shoulder though it's beginning to get sore and stiffen up a bit. I did however find a load I think might make it to deer season though and so you don't get any ideas about flinching affecting my groups it was group #5 that shot a 5 round group that measured .926" @ 100 yards.

·
Registered
11,692 Posts
Awe ya big ol' p.........possum. I've been trying to get a load worked up for my 243 and 25-06. I've figured out that they both shoot the best with IMR 7828, but I don't have any left and mommas griping about spending too much money.

I do have a really good load with my 223 and plenty of components and powder.

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awe ya big ol' p.........possum.
Could be true. :biggrin:

I've been working on these for a while and was trying to narrow them down and everything was toward the top end of the scale.

And sometime this week I'll probably get to abuse my shoulder with that new ML with 150 grains of 777 to site the scope in. On second thought I might drop that back to 100 gr. that will kill them just as dead won't it? :cool:

·
Administrator
87,241 Posts
Seems strange that such a small weight difference can make such a big difference in recoil. I can shoot my 25-06 with 100gr bullets all day and it doesn't bother me.

I shoot the 100 grainers in the 25/06 and you can shoot it all day without a sore shoulder. Sure makes shooting more enjoyable than the heavy kickers!!

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Limbsaver makes a great slip on pad that helps tame the recoil. It doesn't take much 30/06 and I'm ready to put it down for a few days.
I've shot 30-06 all day without sore shoulder. It helps if you use a gas-operated, 10 lb. Garand to help soak up the recoil, though! :biggrin:

Dad told me about a neat trick. If you replace the cleaning kit in the buttstock with a couple lengths of lead pipe, the recoil gets even more better! No lead pipe? Simply fill the buttstock cavities with lead shot and slam the door! :biggrin: If it's small shot (#8 or smaller) some might leak out, but not very much.

Weight sucks walking through the woods, but it's a beautiful thing on the sandbags.

·
Administrator
87,241 Posts
I agree with the Garand. That's one '06 I CAN shoot all day. 8 then PING!!

I don't hunt with the Garand, so the weight doesn't bother me as for carrying. It's only carried from the truck to the bench, about 30 feet. :biggrin:

Here's mine. It's a rebuilt CMP Garand that I got about a year ago. Got one without the stock for $295, refinished it and ordered the stock from Fajen. Total about $500 in it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Could be true. :biggrin:

I've been working on these for a while and was trying to narrow them down and everything was toward the top end of the scale.

And sometime this week I'll probably get to abuse my shoulder with that new ML with 150 grains of 777 to site the scope in. On second thought I might drop that back to 100 gr. that will kill them just as dead won't it? :cool:
Possum,

That Optima Pro holds a good pattern at 100yds with 100gr pyrodex and 245gr AeroTip.:up:

·
Registered
537 Posts
I had a few different loads worked up for the 30.06 and finally got the opportunity to burn them today. 6 different loads of 5 rounds each might have been a bit much for the shoulder though it's beginning to get sore and stiffen up a bit. I did however find a load I think might make it to deer season though and so you don't get any ideas about flinching affecting my groups it was group #5 that shot a 5 round group that measured .926" @ 100 yards.

Isn't there a rule about giving reloading talk and not giving load details?:biggrin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.