Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a handgun in to have fixed a couple of weeks ago. It had a spring that had broke and would not allow you to cock it and advance the cylinder. The guy that I took it to didn't have one like it to replace it with, so he had to special order it. That dang little spring cost more than $4 & the shipping (UPS) for that little sucker was $11. Not to mention the labor for him to fix it. But I got it fixed and got it back so that is the main thing.

·
Administrator
81,448 Posts
It seems to me that a lot of places are making extra profit by charging outrageous shipping charges. They could have just as easily dropped it in a padded envelope and shipped it USPS for 75 cents. Even charging $4 to do that would have been cheaper than $11 UPS.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,030 Posts
It seems to me that a lot of places are making extra profit by charging outrageous shipping charges. They could have just as easily dropped it in a padded envelope and shipped it USPS for 75 cents. Even charging $4 to do that would have been cheaper than $11 UPS.
Exactly....I always look up my part, and order it myself....if I can't put it in...then I take it to a gunsmith I know and have known 30+ years.:wink:

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess it's cause the price of gas? Or maybe some are bucking for early retirement.:biggrin: Oh well I'm going to get it out and shoot it and some of my other guns this weekend.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Exactly....I always look up my part, and order it myself....if I can't put it in...then I take it to a gunsmith I know and have known 30+ years.:wink:
I do the same thing but haven't known any gunsmith that long. Last time I needed a part for a pistol Colt wanted $40 for a little that that pushed the cylinder out. My FIL at the time was working at a machine shop and made one out of spare piece of stock and put it in for nothing.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Good machinists are good friends to have and to keep!!!

My BIL does some, what we call "Gubment Jobs" for me on occasion. He's good to have around!!!

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Good machinists are good friends to have and to keep!!!

My BIL does some, what we call "Gubment Jobs" for me on occasion. He's good to have around!!!
I think we're all gonna need to be more self-reliant in the future. If the libs ban our toys, we'll hafta build and feed them ourselves!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts