A Mallard Mount

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by jjarvis0007, Jan 19, 2008.

1. jjarvis0007

jjarvis0007 Well-Known Member

I was wondering how much it cost to get a mallard mounted and how long it takes. Do you pay up front or when you get your mount back? Also who is the best taxidermists on here, and how far from Little Rock.

2. brushcreek

brushcreek Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I used Rollans and Smith off of Dixon Road near LR. I dropped mine off in January and picked it up in October. $200. It looks great. I'll e-mail you picls or try to post them on here if you are interested.

3. reflex1

reflex1 Well-Known Member

Dave Hafner at Fin, Feather 'n Fur in Jacksonville does some beautiful work on any winged fowl!

4. I use Burrow Taxidermy in Brinkley. I think they're either $200 or $225. I know they do excellent work.

5. jjarvis0007

jjarvis0007 Well-Known Member

Is it half up front and then the remaining balance when you pick it up?

6. MM

MM Well-Known Member

I have used Burrow's in Brinkley a few times myself....and they do GREAT work.

[​IMG]

This is a 9 year old mount....looks as good today as the day I picked it up. As far as their prices??? I'm not sure, it's been awhile, but I'd guess at least $225/bird.

7. ace777

ace777 Well-Known Member

that is a AWESOME mount:thumb:

8. ryanh_johnson

ryanh_johnson Well-Known Member

I used Best of Birds just outside of Conway to mount this wood duck for me....but I didnt pay anything close to $200.....they quoted me $120 but when I went to pay for it and pick it up they didnt have the greenery in the background or the bracket to mount it on the wall and I had to wait, so they knocked it down to $85! I'm very satisfied!!

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n118/ryanh_johnson/DSCN0690.jpg

I also have a friend in Benton that does excellent work, pretty fast, and reasonable prices.

Team Ashley Taxidermy!! If anyone needs contact info they can send me a pm.

9. hawgpharm

hawgpharm Well-Known Member

i use lewis taxidermy in white hall. the last one i had done was 3 or 4 years ago and i think it was $130. i dropped it off in january and got it back in may.

10. I would think 200+ is alot for a bird to be mounted. I was thinking around the 150 range if that much. Guess the prices have went up!!

11. MM

MM Well-Known Member

I may be off on that price....I really haven't checked on it lately, and it could be high. I was basing it off of my memory that IF it serves me right says I paid $175/bird on the above mount some 9-10 years ago. IF my memory is right, I'm sure they have gone up since then...but I could very well be wrong and with bad memory.

12. taxidermydude

taxidermydude Well-Known Member

Burrow's was $225 about 2yrs ago. They may be a little higher now with all the price increases. Alot of guys are around that $200 dollar mark now. Let me say again you usually pay for what you get. Burrows does great work, but MM i have to give ya credit it looks like you picked out two birds in great shape for them to work with. I do not see a single feather cut by shot.

13. MM

MM Well-Known Member

yea, i was picky about which birds to use. the uncut feathers were no problem, as i shoot ALL of my ducks in the head only.:razz: :cross: :biggrin: the drake was a mammoth in full plumage, the hen was as big or bigger then every drake in the pile that morning. i thought they turned out well.

here is a pair of blacks i had mounted by Todd Peebles in Augusta. he does great as well, but i didn't give him quite as much to work with. hard to be picky with blacks, there are a few feathers out of place on them, but i like what he gave me....
    [​IMG]

he did great on this wood duck as well...
    [​IMG]

14. taxidermydude

I have met Todd a time or two at the state convention.

15. MM

MM Well-Known Member

He be a tad on the short side, no?:wink:

16. BUCKSHOT_106

BUCKSHOT_106 Well-Known Member

Here is my standard mallard mount. This was the first duck I ever killed when I was 10 (now 17). Its was done by Jake Clark at Pleasant Plains, AR. I believe he charged a smoking $125 7 years ago.:biggrin:

[​IMG]

17. JR

JR Moderator<br>Campfire<br>General Hunting Topics<br

Man you need to dust that thing off! :biggrin: My is done in almost the same exact position, and the wood looks alot like that too.

18. BUCKSHOT_106

BUCKSHOT_106 Well-Known Member

Yep he is a little dusty. I will clean that up. :thumb:

19. taxidermydude

LOL i was gonna say the same thing. Run a feather duster down him, hit him in the eye with a Qtip and windex and he will look like a new bird.

20. HANDGUNNER

HANDGUNNER Well-Known Member

Mr Lewis has done several for me...my Woody mount, has the big base that has the greenery and looks like the log he is standing on is in the water...he does Great work...I think the Woody mount with base was like $175....and I think the Greenhead and Suzie he did for me were in the $120-125 range...........