Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
According to Merriam Webster’s online dictionary, humane is defined as "marked by compassion, sympathy, or consideration for humans or animals".

Using that definition - In consideration for my dogs, I expose them to the hog in a pen that is a 100ft in diameter for them to learn what a hog might do during a hunting situation. This gives them some frame of reference to what might happen, what they can get away with, and how close they can get without getting hurt/killed with a hog in the wild. I normally just run 1 dog at a time, but with the 3 inexperienced ones it helps build their confidence to have a little "backup". If things go south I am in the pen and can get the dog out very quickly as opposed to having to try to find them on the woods.
In consideration for the hog, in this setting I can control how long the sessions last (usually less than 5 minutes), it is done in a shaded area with a watering hole the pen, and I am in the pen with a break stick in case one of the dogs gets catchy. Takes me about 10 seconds max to get the dog off, again much quicker than if it was not in the pen. While not PETA or HSUS approved, the hog has a better life than one in the wild.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Seems like alot better life than one in the wild.:rolleyes: Any amount of time that hog has to be in that pen with those dogs is inhumane IMO. In your opinion if you're able to get the dogs off of him in ten seconds or less then it's fine. Do you honestly think the definition you used fits the situation that the hog is in? NOPE. Giving him some shade and a mudhole in his pen doesn't make up for the fact that when you get the notion to do some "training" he'll end up being attacked by your dogs. pitiful:down:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Once again you speak about what you do not know. Thay are bay dogs not catch dogs. Look up the definitions. Do they catch sometimes? Sure but very rarely.

Based on your comments you must think hunting and fishing are inhumane.
I never thought I would be having to defend my actions on a hunting board. If you dont like it thats fine but keep your opinion to yourself. I dont know what your hobbies are but if I didn't agree with it I wouldn't call you on it. It will be people like you (one who questions or attacks the actions of others within the hunting community) that gives the anti's just enough ammo/support to eventually start the process of taking away our rights as outdoorsmen.

·
Administrator
90,713 Posts
Well, it only took 5 minutes for Inspector Cluso from the "my way is right and yours isn't" ethics police to show up. :rolleyes: First it was snakes, now it's hogs...

Ben, hit the "Ignore" button and keep on posting!! :thumb:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Once again you speak about what you do not know. Thay are bay dogs not catch dogs. Look up the definitions. Do they catch sometimes? Sure but very rarely.

Based on your comments you must think hunting and fishing are inhumane.
I never thought I would be having to defend my actions on a hunting board. If you dont like it thats fine but keep your opinion to yourself. I dont know what your hobbies are but if I didn't agree with it I wouldn't call you on it. It will be people like you (one who questions or attacks the actions of others within the hunting community) that gives the anti's just enough ammo/support to eventually start the process of taking away our rights as outdoorsmen.
:up::clap:

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.