A good predator gun?

Discussion in 'Predators, Varmints, and Hogs' started by green_head_getter, Dec 13, 2010.

1. green_head_getter

green_head_getter Super Member<br>2010 Bowhunting Contest Winner

Lookin to buy a .223 in the next year or two. Want to get the right one. Do y'all suggest the rem R-15? I don't know alot about the different brands. Anyone got any opinions or direction on what to look at/for

2. Rebel

Rebel Well-Known Member

I have been looking as well And I like the Remington Model Seven Predator and the Savage Predator model. I like the Savage because it comes in 6.5 Creedmore and 6.5X284 , also great deer rounds.

3. Allstar

Allstar Well-Known Member

I have one and really like it. My trigger sucked and I replaced it with a 3# Timney. If you look around, you can find them with low round counts pretty reasonable. Seen one just yesterday, 18" barrel, 5x15 Bushnell Elite 3200, and Timney trigger, 200 round count, $1000 shipped to FFL. :up:

4. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I have one and agree, the trigger needs some help for long range shooting. Other than that, no complaints.

5. Dermott

Dermott Well-Known Member

Bolt verses Semi-Auto

I have the Savage Predator rifle in .223 and love it. It is very accurate and camouflaged. However, sometimes I wish I had an AR-15 for follow up shots (AKA misses!) or when two or more coyotes come in. I have bought too many guns the last three or four years so I will try to quell the urge for now.

Steve/"Dermott"

6. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    I have an R15 and really like it. It stacks 55 grain ballistic tips on top of each other.

7. cacheman

cacheman Well-Known Member

Texas
    I'd like to have the R-15 or Remington 700 in 223, but it will be a while before either of them are in the budget. In the meantime I have a 22, 30-30, 30-06 270, 7.62 x 39mm or a shotgun. Which of these do ya'll recommend for trying to shoot a coyote?

8. Dermott

Dermott Well-Known Member

Cacheman -

Depends on the type of terrain you are hunting. Shotguns are the obvious choice in close cover with T, #4 or #1 buck shot. Even hunting small fields and openings or where the coyotes have not been pressured they will come into shotgun range. All of your rifles will work well but the 270 with light rounds would bed my preference unless you can shoot one of the other rifles better.

Steve/"Dermott"

9. I have also considered the Savage, they are great rifles. I already own a model Seven and really like the way it shoots. Once you find the right load any one of the two would be a great choice. As far as caliber goes I`m a .22-250 guy, but the .223 is a great choice as well. You might want to look at some of the "newer" rounds available for the AR platform as well, such as the 6.8 Rem SPC. or the 6.5 Grendel. Both rounds are in production by several ammo manufacturers, a bit more expensive to shoot than the .223 but a lot better ballistics and a lot more versatile rounds.

10. Maggiesmaster

Maggiesmaster Well-Known Member

NE AR
    Are #1 or #4 buckshot legal for 'yotes? If not, what are the penalties if you get caught with them?

11. green_head_getter

green_head_getter Super Member<br>2010 Bowhunting Contest Winner

I doubt much of anything is illegal for totes. Noone likes em around. I will look into the other rouds but I was thinkin .223 i'n case I wanna go hunt pronghorn or even deer or hogs. Will those other rounds suffice? Idk how big they are

12. nontypical

nontypical Well-Known Member

Rock River Predator Pursuit with a 2 stage NM trigger. Cant go wrong with any of the above though.