Arkansas Hunting banner

A Few Questions

915 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  d2 
#1 ·
I’ve picked up some great trapping insight from this forum over the last couple of years, and still trying to learn as much as possible. I have a couple of questions for y’all with experience…..

I have reset traps after catches, and caught on the resets. But, when you pull those to move to a new location, would you boil and clean the scent off?

I think I know the answer from most based on a few replies, but when you want to set new traps and don’t have time to dye and wax, or wax alone, are you comfortable with a degreaser and high pressure wash alone before setting in ground?

I have been trying to leave sets alone once set, unless the occasional trap gets dug around. Following a heavy rain, do you rework with bait, lure, urine, etc.? One or all?

I have heard mixed opinions on this, but with a strong call lure (skunk), do you place on the backing OR a little distance behind the set, higher on a limb) just to attract them to the immediate area of the trap?

Thanks in advance for any helpful input. I have some direct feedback from a few experienced trappers, but get a mix of views on these. Just curious what your opinions are.

See less See more
#3 ·
I will try to answer the question I feel confident in and leave the others to the experts like @jackiereed.
I would degrease and use the new traps as is, adjusting pan tension if needed. They need a little rust on them for dye to stick. You can promote rust with vinegar. YTS, as my buddy would say.
No more than I've done I'm a looong ways from being a expert.
Back in the day when I was doing live market dogs my traps were washed and dipped in F1 before season. And they went to the car wash after season. Didn't have time to worry about a dirty trap. If it had a little blood or skunk on it I'd wipe it off and go on.
About 80% of the crap you see on the internet is crap. Tons of idiots catch 1 coyote and are experts. Some on here. Bunch on you tube. Just get them in the ground. You ain't catching a damn thing with it at the car wash or in the dye bucket.

#4 ·
Only time I ever change traps is when I catch a skunk or possum. If I use the same trap from a skunk catch sometimes they will roll in the skunk scent and set if off. If I caught a coyote or cat or fox, I reset using the same trap. I have used them straight out of the box, just wiped hard with green pine needles before I put them in the ground. I do like to boil and wax the legholds for no other reason than my uncle did it when I was little, and I watched and helped. 330's I paint...d2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.