A few duck photos..took my canon instead of benelli

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by backstraps, Jan 10, 2011.

1. backstraps

backstraps Well-Known Member

Just a few duck in flight shots from before the snow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a ringneck for good measure
    [​IMG]

2. take_em

take_em Well-Known Member

Nice in flight shots

3. BDW

BDW Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey

Nice!!! :up:

4. SusieKiller

SusieKiller Well-Known Member

What is your set up?

5. woodwise

woodwise Well-Known Member

X2

Nice

6. Ducks and Dogs

Ducks and Dogs Well-Known Member

just a guess but id say a 7d with 500mm worth of glass :wink:

7. SusieKiller

I'm hoping its a D7. I want some feedback. I've played with one. They're sweet cameras. 500's probably a little stout, but I'd say a 400mm maybe...

8. backstraps

Its a 7D with a Sigma 150-500. Most shot at 500mm...i think. I took over 500 pics and haven't converted all the RAW files..these are just a few of the first ones.

9. SusieKiller

Nice. That 7D is bad ass... It will be my next purchase. I shoot a Sigma 400mm. Awesome lens, but I think I'll swap it out for a Canon lens when I get the 7D.

Sweet pics.

10. keeb

keeb Well-Known Member

post some more pics. :thumb:

11. Awesome pics!

It's fun to shoot ducks with something other than a shotgun every once in awhile.

12. backstraps

For action shots, the 7D is just hard to beat. The AF is simply amazing BUT you really have to learn what settings work for you. IMO Canon really hit one out of the park with this one. Some of the photogs complain about the noise. It doesn't really bother me but you can peru much eliminate it by shooting in MRaw(that's a smaller 10mp file). If you have questions ask away. I'm a camera dork and will talk it all day. I like it almost as much as hunting....not great at either one either.

13. backstraps

Ill post some more tonight when I get a chance to look through I've taken recently.

Here are a few trumpeter swans from Lake Magness I just took. Noir the best shots bc I ran out of light but cool to see wild swans in Arkansas.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. SusieKiller

I bought the T1i last year and wish I would have waited. 8 frames a second is smokin. I played with one at Bedford's and just couldn't believe how fast it was. I was just as fast I i could pull the trigger (or push the button as the case may be). I like that, especially when shooting ducks, or working dogs. Just pull the trigger as fast as you can and sort the pics out later.

So incase anyone's reading this, I have a T1i (1 year old) and a XTi (3 years old) each with a 18-55 lens. I also have a 100-400 Sigma lens and a 28-90 canon lens. They're all for sale so I can go buy a 7D.

15. backstraps

That's still an awesome camera. The Canon 100-400 is the lens so many outdoor photographers recommend (unless you want to spend big time money). I really prefer the Sigma 150-500. The extra reach is nice and the optical stabilization is as good as amy on the market. You will lose a small bit of sharpness but that is not an issue after PP. I have spot the Canon 100-400 and its nice but I chose the Sigma bigmos. Personal preference really..

Put your cameras on craigslist and they will sell within a week. I've sold stuff on there and its always gone in a few days!

16. SusieKiller

Took these at Magnum 12 the other day. The pics wern't as crisp as I wanted them to be do to all the buck brush and johnson grass. It hard to get a crisp focus with all the brush. So I started playing with Photoshop and I'm trying to recreate my own Claypool's looking pic. I've taken more pics than I have pulled the trigger this year....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. backstraps

I like them! Hows magnum twelves year been? I hunt across the HWY

18. SusieKiller

I think they're smackin em. They've got the birds. That north rice field was packed. The west side (Geridge Rd.) was a lot thicker than the east. But a ton of ducks none the less.

Where are your woods? I knew you were in that part of the world.

19. woodwise

woodwise Well-Known Member

Hey Backstraps.....I have a Canon EOS 50D with a Canon 28-135 with the stabilizer built in....My question is what would your pick of next lens be....they so many I don't know where to Start...thanks

20. backstraps

It completely depends on what you want to use it for. If we are talking about ducks, deer, critters etc... Then really there are two that I'd recommend. The Canon 100-400L or the Sigma 150-500 OS. You can't beat Canon L glass BUT for birds, I prefer the Sigma. You are going to give up a small bit of sharpness and possibly have a little dullness in your colors compared to the Canon. What you get from the Sigma is another 100mm and an unbeatable optical stabilization system. For the types of shooting I like to do, 500mm is the minimum. Plus after I convert my RAW files, the sharpness and color are irrelevant.

Sigmas new lenses aren't L quality but they are dang good. I'm looking into new lenses for portrait type shots of my son. You can bet I'm going with Canon L glass for that.

Let me know what you want to shoot and maybe I can help a little more.
    BTW.. The 50D is a great body. Do you like it?