Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I know this isn't going to be the biggest deer on here, but I am so kind of proud!! He's only the second racked buck I've ever taken with a bow and I just couldn't pass him up.

Got settled into the stand about 4:30. No deer for over an hour, but it was a great spot and I was just soaking up nature for the first time this year. Isn't it awesome what God provides for us?

Heard some squirrels go nuts about 5:30 so I stood up and turned around to face my right side. After a couple minutes of seeing nothing, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. Directly behind me about 100 yds. was this buck. Couldn't believe it as that is the one area I did not expect to see deer come from.

Got snuggled in tight to the tree and watched him make his way all the way down the hill eating acorns as he came. Took a while but I managed to stay pretty calm. I about lost it when he fed directly under my stand! Testimony to good stand placement and to Primos Scent Killer which I was covered in! At one point I was watching him through the slits in the stand base.

He turned to leave and I got drawn. Settled the pin and waited till he turned a little. At a whopping 6 steps he did and I put the 5575 GT with SlickTrick right where I wanted it. High so it would come out just behind the offside shoulder. Couldn't have placed it any better. Took out both lungs and he ran about 75-100 yds. Didn't see it, but listened to him crash while on a dead run.

Left a tremendous blood trail even after shattering a rib on the way in.

I'm stoked!!! I've killed some good bucks with firearms, but this one is pretty special to me with a bow.

·
Registered
345 Posts
that is awesome! congrats! i know the feeling. it is a whole different experience for me to take an animal with a bow than a rifle. i hope to get my second deer today or this weekend. last year was my first bow kill and it was a big tom. gotta love that bowhuntin!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.